Terry Richardsons Technique

jessica_dell

<i>they are just sexually explicit snaps.</i><p>

No, you are just unfamiliar with the hundreds (maybe thousands) of his images published in high-end magazines as editorial content and ads. His website is primarily a joke intended to piss people off--it has little relationship to his commercial work.

actually i have seen his work in ads and editorial and while the content may be less explicit

his aesthetic is pretty much the same across the board. on camera flash with snapshot

style. whatever. its his thing. I like some of his stuff. In fact I liked the sisley campaign he

did not too long ago that was on their site. But i think it gets old too.

side note, i've also seen a few ads featuring him naked, so it's not just his site. One was

for sisley in the back of WAD and the other was for Grand Photo Lab in Dazed & Confused.

i dunno. i just don't see what all the hype is about him. it's obviously more about him as a

person than his photography i think.

Jessica, I gotta admit, after joining in the general spree of group smugness regarding Richardson's work, I really do admire photographers who take risks and break rules.

Today I took my cousin, who's taking her first high school photography course, out for some street shooting. We took a break in a bookstore and browsed through the photo section. Of all the books she saw the one that made the biggest impression on her was a collection of what might be called punk, stylized snapshot, don't-give-a-flip, or whatever you want to label it.

She also really admired Jim Marshall's stuff. I think the kid will be okay.