Ten from me

cd thacker

Nice photos! Do you live in Nepal? From the shots I can recognize the people and the

streets because I studied in Nepal for a little bit while I was a college student back in

the early 80's. I see some rickshaws in the background of one of your pics -- that's a

subject dear to my heart! At one point, I knew many of the rickshaw drivers in

Kathmandu and even spoke their language (that was, oh, more than 20 years ago!).

Your shots bring back a lot of memories for me. The place is unlike anywhere I've

ever been. In many ways, it's medieval; it's full of life, mystique and spirituality, and

the people, they are just beautiful! Thanks!

<p>

-Kevin

C'mon Doug, not a single Leica picture (of course, I could tell from the thumbnails at twenty yards), what's going on? How can you subject us to this Nikon deluge? Don't you know that using a Leica will make you a more discerning and exacting photographer? I hope these photos are old and that now you have sensibly moved on to superior equipment.

<P>Hi Doug,

<P>Are you still living in Hawaii? Remember our little correspondence? I told you I don't have an ulterior motive, hope you'll believe now. BTW, I think that post holds the honor of most number of response. How about over 200?

<P>Take care and regards :-))

Thanks for the good words.<p>

Derek, I too wish they were larger on the screen. Or at least scanned from negs. I'll try to add some comments presently.<p>

<i>The place is unlike anywhere I've ever been. In many ways, it's medieval; it's full of life, mystique and spirituality, and the people, they are just beautiful!</i><p>

Kevin, I agree 100%. Nepal is my favorite spot on earth. I've never enjoyed being in any other place quite so much. I'd like very much to spend more time there; and in Bhutan, as well - but what with the cost involved with going to the latter, and the circumstances ($200 a day for an organized government run tour - the only way available to non-working visitors) I may have to wait on that part (until I become officially a "working" visitor). Anyway, I suspect Bhutan may be similar to Nepal in the best ways. By the way, I live in Hawaii - which you'd have to be a fool to complain about (though I'm itching to get to other environs again).<p>

These photos are old, Robert. They were shot in 2001 using, in truth, not an F3, but an FE. Most of them were taken with a Tamron 28-200 zoom, though for some I used the other lens I had with me, a Nikkor 50/1.8E. Both my equipment and my style have changed since - but I'm not sure it's made me any more discerning.<p>

I'm still in Hawaii, Sandy. For now. Though planning to get back on the road in about twelve months. Even if you did have an ulterior motive, it would be okay with me - just so long as it involved sponsorship of my upcoming photo projects. :) Thanks for writing.

Thanks, Travis. I probably won't put up any more India pictures because of the expense. I don't have a scanner at home, and really they should be neg-scanned to do them justice. In order to do that full-frame they need to be drummed scanned, far as I know - a pricey proposition. <p>

I am planning a website to have down the road, however. When it comes about I'll announce it here.

Thanks for asking, Sandy. (By the way, I love that picture of your daughter (?)) It was never my intention to leave them up for very long. I just posted them on the spur of the moment, and deleted them likewise. A book would (will) be more to my liking. But it was fun for a minute.