tempted to trade my D810 for a Df

chulster

Convince me not to do this foolish thing. I'm sorely tempted because (1) I've always wanted one; (2) I've read that the Df's sensor is sublime; (3) my computer is slow to process the D810's 36 MP files; and (4) I simply don't need 36 MP.

If the Df had 24 MP, the decision would be easy; but at 16 MP it almost crosses the line into not-enough-pixels. I may miss the 15 MP DX crop mode of the D810. (The Df's DX crop is a rather pitiful 7 MP!)

The trade will not be cheap. At over 100K actuations, my very clean D810 is worth perhaps $800. A Df in excellent condition is about $1200. In order to feel better about the expense, I may need to sacrifice my D300 as well.

What do you think of this putative exchange? Is it idiotic, or merely ill-advised?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance you can borrow or hire one?

In the good ol days, a camera shop might even let you try one for a couple of days.

Try that with Amazon, although with recent news here in the UK, that's exactly what many people are doing from tech toys to clothes. Free returns is a questionable idea for tech, clothes i can understand more.

• Like 1

What do you think of this putative exchange? Is it idiotic, or merely ill-advised?

Either one. Doesn't matter, as both mean you shouldn't. And you indeed shouldn't.

Why would you like a Df? An extra toy? Then buy it, and keep your sensible camera. (36 MP is its maximum resolution, by the way. So if you feel it is too much...)

Now if you would want to trade the D810 in for a Z7ii... But as you mentioned, you don't get much for a well used D810. And you say you do not need the number of pixels.

• Like 2

Different horses for different courses. I have both and use them for entirely different purposes. If you like the D810, there will be things you like and dislike about the Df. I got the Df first, then the D810, primarily for Close up and Macro work at which it excels, the extra MP allowing very small crops. The Df is super for vacation and general walk around. My experience is that many think it is a film camera and find it less threatening. It has the same sensor as the D4 and produces fine results.
  • Like 1

I've owned a D800 and a Df. I found the Df good, but the D800 more usable. The Df didn't feel as comfortable in my hand. The way they mixed regular and traditional controls never jelled for me. And except for being able to use pre-AI lenses (with an awkward interface where you have to set the aperture on the lens and also on a knob) it is not better for use with manual lenses. I can't understand why they didn't use a split-prism screen, and the metering and focus aid dots are no better. The sensor is very good but it can't do anything the D800 sensor (which is also very good) can't do.

Tip: if you don't want such large files, set a button on the D810 to image crop. Hold it and turn a wheel to change the crop. Switch between full and 1.2 crop, and you can get 24mp files with only a slight change in field of view.

• Like 3

Interestingly, I've just traded my D810 and D7200 for a Z6ii.

I miss some of the buttons compared to my D850.

I hadn't used the D7200 for a while as I have a D500, but never really felt the loss. I do now!

I do wonder what the Z9 will be like?!

Mirrorless Df anyone...? :p

Edited by mike_halliwell

Mirrorless Df anyone...?

Buy a Fuji.

hadn't used the D7200 for a while ... but never really felt the loss. I do now!

I sometimes regret getting rid of the D7200 - even to the point that I started to look for one - but so far I always caught myself in time. There really is no point for me to own one again.

Sandy makes as good a point (or points) about owning a Df. For myself, I can’t find a single one. Not for owning one, and most certainly not for trading a D810 for it.

• Like 3

Interestingly, I've just traded my D810 and D7200 for a Z6ii.

I miss some of the buttons compared to my D850.

I hadn't used the D7200 for a while as I have a D500, but never really felt the loss. I do now!

I do wonder what the Z9 will be like?!

Mirrorless Df anyone...? :p

Mirrorless Df is an oxymoron. The Df isn't a Df if it's not an SLR.

I appreciate all the responses. The majority opinion seems to be that it's a foolish trade. In this thread, the Df finds more support as a fun second body, not a replacement for the D810.

I would be interested to hear more about what everybody thinks are specific deficits of the Df compared to the D810. Resolution is the most obvious. A few here have derided its ergonomics. Anything else? Is the Df's viewfinder smaller or darker than the D810's? That's a difference I'd care about.

Edited by chulster

I appreciate all the responses. The majority opinion seems to be that it's a foolish trade. In this thread, the Df finds more support as a fun second body, not a replacement for the D810.

I would be interested to hear more about what everybody thinks are specific deficits of the Df compared to the D810. Resolution is the most obvious. A few here have derided its ergonomics. Anything else? Is the Df's viewfinder smaller or darker than the D810's? That's a difference I'd care about.

I don’t remember the Df viewfinder being worse. It might be a bit better, now that I think about it. But the other big drawback is that it has the lower grade AF system like what they put in the D600. There are fewer AF points covering less of the frame.

• Like 1

what everybody thinks are specific deficits of the Df compared to the D810

As I already mentioned, Sandy puts forward the reasons to own a Df. Though nowadays, I rather stick manual focus lenses onto a mirrorless body. To me the combination of D4 sensor and D600 AF module never made sense. If I really cared about the high-ISO capabilities of the sensor, chances are I would want a better AF performance than the D600 AF system can provide. Ergonomics of the Df doesn’t suit me - but that’s personal. Finally, I found (and still find) the camera’s price point to be incommensurate with what it offers.

• Like 1

The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

Agree, just buy a Df and try it for a while. If that is not your cup of tea, you can always sell it without losing much, as long as you keep it in good shape. The Df is a "cult" camera and will always has its followings and therefore demand in the used market. Back in 2013, Nikon USA sent me a loaner for review so that I got quite familiar with the Df back then. Never had the desire to own one myself, though.

• Like 1

Although I've always liked Nikons, I am not currently a Nikon shooter.

Having said that, I would NEVER make that trade! The Df has < half the resolution of the D810 - that's a definite downgrade IMHO. At 16mp I'm not sure I'd buy the Df even as a second body. If you really want the traditional look and feel of a Nikon F series film camera, then buy a Nikon F series film camera and shoot film on occasion.

• Like 1

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Like Coca-Cola isn't Coca-Cola without... Errr..

Sugar or Caffeine?

Manufacturer's do funny things....:D

Anyway the Df does LV, so it's half mirrorless already....:p

Oh, and what does f stand for or mean?

According to whom? Nikon said f stands for fusion. Kai Wong said it stands for failure. But to me it meant flex as in reflex.

Don't own either but I think it might be both idiotic and ill-advised. Buy a Df if you must, but don't make the trade. I do know a pro who has a Df and loves it, but he has other bodies too. After going mirrorless, dSLRs feel like clunky dinosaurs every time I pick one up. Fewer pixels than my Z6 would be too few, though a Z7 might be too many for me.

According to whom? Nikon said f stands for fusion. Kai Wong said it stands for failure. But to me it meant flex as in reflex.
That's what the "F" has always stood for.

According to Wikipedia - "The 'F' in Nikon F was selected from the term 're-f-lex', since the pronunciation of the first letter 'R' is not available in many Asian languages."

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra