Temp ratings of LCD screens and sensors on dig cameras

paul ron

On a camping forum I participate on a question came up concerning the lowest

temperature a digital camera can operate and be stored. We are mostly winter

campers so below freezing F temps are not unusual.

A friend of mine ruined his D100 by leving his camera out in his backpack.

Nikon wouldn't fix it since they said it was totaly destroyed, sensor n all. I

asked Nikon what their ratings are and they couldn't answer me.

Anyone know ratings for the major brands?

The more you say, the less people listen.

Canon usually lists something close to freezing in their manuals. However, I have a friend that uses several Canon 1D series cameras to shoot the Iditarod Sled Dog Race with temps sometimes ranging down to -40 (f or c, it's all the same at -40). No unexpected troubles, but you have to keep the batteries warm. I've used the 20D around here in the winter, but I generally don't like to run around in temps below 10f

The usual problems you run into are related to condensation from temperature changes. Any time the camera moves to a warmer place (or just a sudden temp increase outdoors), always put the camera in a bag first. Otherwise condensation forms, and if it is refrozen damage could result. Ideally, the bag should be waterproof, but most of the time any camera bag will do. Don't open the bag or remove it until you are certain the camera has warmed up to room temp.

Thanks for the thought. But that temp is not going to effect the camera as long as you are sheilding it under your coat till ready for the shot.

I'm talking about leaving a camera in a backpack over night at temps well below freezing. I'd really like to know what the manufacturers say their temperature rating is for the LCD screens n sensors.

I know TVs have a rating of something like 40?F saying freezing is to be avoided... that is stated in owners manual specs. Cameras on the other hand, specs are not given.

So the question again is, does anyone know the manufacturers temp ratings for major brand camera LCD screens n sensors? I can't seem to find any definative answers, just perosnal experiance.. which is just as valuable but somewhat subjective and variable due to the nature of the situations.

Perhaps quoted form owner manuals? Maybe we can get a compelation of specs going here?

Who said anything about "shielding it under your coat till ready for the shot"? That's too much trouble, and the camera is then going in and out of a warm moist place. Not at all good. The Iditarod shooter I mentioned works all day & into the night with the cameras exposed most of the time for two weeks, and sometimes the temps are -40, and sometimes they are +40f, but usually hover around zero-f. I know the recommended temp ratings for LCDs are less than this, but they seem to be able to take it anyway.

And the results I found are this....

Cannon EOS 1D specs... 32-104? F/0-40? C

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/1dm2n.html

Cannon EOS 10D specs... 0~40C/32~104F

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E10D/E10DA.HTM

Nikon D3... Temperature: 0 - 40 ?C / 32 - 104 ?F, Humidity: under 85% (no condensation

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082312nikond3.asp

Pentax K100D specs... Min Operating Temperature 32 ?F Max Operating Temperature 104 ?F

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/pentax-k100d-body-only/4507-6501_7-31961957.html

So personal experiance may be just pure luck or your estimation of temperature is way off.