Telezoom reach for safari pics

david abrey

I've decided that I could do with some more reach for my upcoming

safari, as my current 75-300mm IS that I use with my Canon EOS 10D

could be a bit too short, and would be way too soft with a

teleconverter (unless someone knows different...). I've found a

couple of UK stores that are advertising the Sigma 100-300mm f4 + a

Sigma 2x teleconverter. What I'd like to know is:

1) Has anyone used this combination? If so, what's it like?

2) If I used the magical 'Taped Teleconverter Trick'

(http://www.fredmiranda.com/TipsPage/), would the lens still

autofocus OK?

I know that AF would still work OK with the 1.4x t/c, but the stores

in question are offering the 2x, and it would be very nice to have

600mm :-).

Thanks,

Dave.

I can not answer your question but may be able to provide some data. I went

on a safari with a D30 and 100-400 IS. Prior to going I purchased the Sigma

2x teleconverter and ended up returning it because it did not work well with

my D30. Even with the camera in program mode the images came out very

dark and not clearly in focus.

As it turned out for me the 100 - 400 IS was more than enough.

Dave, your 10D already has a "built-in" converter of 1.6 times. So with your present 75-300 the actual reach will be 120-480 which is more than adequate for safaris. Maybe you would require a bit of additional reach when you are interested in extreme close up portraits or small birds. Otherwise 480 really is enough. Don't know where you'll be going, but you will get close enough to the wildlife for this focal length.

A 300mm with 2x converter and the 10D 1.6x will become an effective 960mm which will be pretty useless on safari.

By the way, the "converter trick" will leave you with a system with very poor autofocus capabilities. You will either get rid of the tape very soon, or you will be focussing manually.

The best lens for safaris is definitely the Canon 100-400L IS zoomlens. Even on normal (non digi) cameras the reach is quite enough for safaris, with an 10D it will be 160-640 which covers everything, up to portraits and birds.

Regards,

Hans

www.wildpicture.com

Thanks for the replies :-).

Hans,

The safari is in Kenya. I can't remember the exact details off the top of my head, but I think it includes Amboseli, and definately includes the Masai Mara - are you familiar with either of these?

My main concern has been that I may not be too close to the animals for my pictures to do them any justice, but from what you say, that may not be too much of an issue. Do you have any idea how close the animals might be?

I've heard a lot of good things about the Canon 100-400 IS lens, but I'm afraid it's just a bit too far out of my price range (around £600-700), even used :-(. I've also heard good things about the Sigma 50-500, which should be just within my budget.

I have to say that I'm surprised that you say that my current 75-300 will be more than enough, when taken in to account with the 1.6x factor of the 10D. But pleasantly surprised! If this is indeed the case, then I'll be able to spend the money elsewhere to fill some holes in my inventory (specifically thinking about a Sigma 15-30mm for wide angle, and an external flash).

I had a quick look at your site - there's some useful info and some nice pics too :-).

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave, I have been to both Amboseli and the Mara myself. Usually you can get very close to the animals. The Mara is even famous for the pictures of Landrovers with Cheetahs climbing on top of them to have a better viewpoint for hunting.

But besides that, I am sure you will get close enough to the animals. Your 75-300 will be enough for all shots. Maybe except some super close up portraits. But with 480mm you should really have enough reach. The only real exception will be small birds. But for those you would need something like a big 500/4 or 600/4 with 1.4x converter anyway.

Have a great time there!

Herman,

I know :-(. That's the downside of the multiplier, I guess. However, at the moment, the 'widest' lens I have is the 28-135mm IS (45-216 in 10D terms), so the 15-30mm will give me a reasonably wide option that I don't have at the moment. After all, someone pointed out to me that whilst there are many animals to shoot at the long end, I shouldn't forget the landscape shots, as the scenery in East Africa can be quite spectacular!

Cheers,

Dave.

I just wanted to second Hans's comments!

For almost all safari shots you get by with up to 400mm. So you have the necessary reach already. Perhaps your experiences from the upcoming trip will lead you into a new area of photography, so wait with any purchase!

I'd like to add that you try to get seated in the first row of a 4x4 or in the last one. Always try to sit near the doors/windows.

Be aware that there are different types of vehicles around, some have openings in the roof where you can use beanbags, some are completely open, so that you must use a monopod if you want some sturdiness.

I have used 2 bodies on my safaries, one with a fast film for wildlife, the otherone with Velvia for landscapes.

Enjoy the experience!

While I agree that (the equivalent of) 400mm is sufficient to photograph the larger mammals in African safaris, you can always use more focal length in wildlife photography, especially if you are interested in birds. Just a few days ago I went to a slide show by a lady who visited Kenya a couple of years back. She was using Canon film bodies and quite a few of her bird images from Africa were shot with a 500mm/f4 plus a 2x TC.

However, it is costly to buy good long lenses. I am not sure a Sigma 100-300 zoom plus a 2x TC will give you very good results. You might as well stick with your 75-300 zoom but make sure you have some sort of backup equipment should your 10D body fails or your zoom fails.

The lens is quite a good one, optically, but, well, it's a Sigma. It has so many compatibility problems that you may find that the actual price is not ended when you buy it and is not always measured in money.

I also think that the 100-400 IS is your best option. It's Canon, it's an L, it has IS. I think that's enough reasons....

Do remember that 100-400 on your 10D is actually 160-640.

I concur with Shun. The game animals should be no problem with your focal lengths. The exceptions might be Rock Hyrax, Pythons, and small reptiles, though they usually allow a close approach if you are careful. The only birds that might be large enough without big glass, are the Ostrich and Secretary Birds. Of course Oxpeckers on large mammals or Crocs, don't need to be full frame. Sometimes flocks congregating in trees will make it look as though it is in full bloom. Macro capability is useful for Safari Ants, Chameleons, and Dung Beatles. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure, go for longer primes with a good 1.4X TC. You can never have too much focal length!

Yesterday, British based airlines were told not to fly to Kenya due to a specific terrorist threat

(see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3031801.stm). Obviously, I'd still love to go to Kenya, but if the situation doesn't improve,

then I should be able to rearrange my holiday to another destination. The two that spring to mind are Tanzania and South Africa. I'd be very grateful for any information anyone could give me on what these countries are like for safaris. For example, I've heard that the tourist facilities aren't as well developed in Tanzania as they are in Kenya, and that you are restricted to roads in the South African parks. Any other points to take in to account? Are there cheetas is Tanzania and South Africa?

Thanks you very much :-).

Regards,

Dave Abrey.

Dave, so sad to here about this ban on flights. It will hurt the Kenyan economy very much, as they depend on tourism for a great deal. And Kenyans themselves have nothing to do with the terrorist threats.

If the ban on flights between Britain and Kenya continues, there are two options. Either you choose another destination, or you fly to Kenya through another country. If I am correct there are daily flights from Amsterdam to Nairobi as well.

Tanzania is indeed very much like Kenya with regards to wildlife and scenery. But with less infrastructure and less tourists. Therefore prices may be a bit higher.

Southern Africa is another option. You have the choice of several countries: South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zambia. I will disregard the wonderfully beautiful Zimbabwe for now. You'll probable have to wait until they get rid of Mugabe to go there.

South Africa has many national parks and reserves. The main ones with the big five (and cheetahs) are Kruger and Hluhluwe-Umfulozi. Infrastructure has a very high standard, often very much comparable to Europe or US, or even better. But the drawback is that there are lots of tourists. And the perfect infrastructure takes away a bit of the feeling of the African bush. When on the tar roads in Kruger, you will see Mercedesses towing a caravan. However it is very easily accessible and you can do it all yourself. Just book flights, accomodation and hire a car. No need for a safari company. South Africa also has some very high priced private lodges, most bordering Kruger. But expect to pay something like 300 euro pppn or more for the chilled champaign and fresh lobster.

Namibia is very nice too. Much fewer tourists. Main attractions are the Namib desert and Etosha NP. (of course there are many more places worth visiting!) Etosha has all the big animals too, but less pronounced scenery. Easily accesible with normal rental car.

Botswana is wild and the real Africa. Very few tourists. Great parks are: Magadikgadi, Moremi (Okavango), and Chobe. You can book a camping tour with a tour operator (Drifters is very good) for relatively little money. Or you can book a private safari, which is very expensive. Again, don't know if you need champaign chilled in a silver bucket and served in crystal glasses. :-) Another option is doing it all yourself. But then you'll need to hire a very good 4x4 with all camping and bush equipment. And you'll need skills and experience. But then it is an unforgettable experience.

Zambia is a bit like Botswana. Big, wild and very few tourists. But expensive. Unless you organize everything yourself, but here you'll need even more skills and experience. One place there which is still very high on my wishing list is North Luangwa. Unfortunately only accessible through licensed (expensive) safari companies.

Hope this has helped you a little bit in making your mind up. I do hope the threat turns out to be false and flights will be resumed quickly!

Although there are no British airways flights to Kenya, Kenya airways are running as usual. To find the latest travel advice follow this link www.fco.gov.uk

The advice mentions East Africa as a whole. Maybe South Africa is the alternative.

So you wan't to get close to Animals?. The Mala Mala (western bourdry to the Kruger) private reserve cannot be beaten with this regards, especially leopards. This is a differant experience to East African safaris. Vechiles are open, seating upto 8 persons. Don't let this put you off. We stayed at this reserve for seven days and we had 18 leopard sightings. Walking safaris are included in the price. You could also spend a couple of days at Phinda reserve, v good for cheetah sightings. Off road driving is allowed in these private reserves, unlike Kruger where you have to stick to the designated roads.

The animals in these private reserve are habituated to vehicles and seldom move away (expect Antelopes) when a vehicle arrives. For example the rhinos in Kruger will run away when you try to follow them, in the private reserves they take no notice.

A safari combining Phinda and the Mala Mala is as good if not better than what east Africa has to offer.

Mike

@Hans,

Thank you very much for the very detailed reply :-). It's certainly given a few more options. I really hope that the Kenya thing blows over, as I'd love to go there. This holiday is for my honeymoon, so I want it to be really special. And we may need some of that champagne and crystal glasses you mentioned :-).

The sitaution I'm in is that I've booked and paid for the Kenya holiday. However, my travel company have said that I can change the destination up until 9th June without incurring an "administration fee". After that date, I pay the extra. The travel company only offers certain destinations, which is why I listed Tanzania and South Africa.

However, I spoke to my fiance, and we agreed that the best thing to do is to wait for a week or so to see what happens, as the threat could go away. So fingers crossed.

@Mike,

Thanks for the info on South Africa. It certainly sounds like I wouldn't be dissapointed going there! I'm no expert, but I think 18 leopard sightings in seven days is pretty good going!!!

One final question - what's the weather like in South Africa in August? Isn't that the height of winter south of the Equator?

Thanks for all the advice - it's been really helpful. If anyone has any more info, please let me know :-).

Cheers,

Dave.

We went in Septemnber. About 80 deg f, during the day and cooler at night. Animal sightings are better at this time of the year due to lack of water and more open terrain, although not the best for photography, not very green at this time of the year. You cant have it all.

Mike

Dave, as Mike already mentioned august is a nice time in South Africa. The days are generally sunny with a clear blue sky. Day temperatures are comfortable (20-30 C), but nights can be cool to cold. Personally I like these cold dry nights very much. And on a honeymoon cold nights are even more attractive. :-)

One more bonus about the weather in August. Because it is very dry, you have the least insects.

Dave,

For what it's worth my Kenyan colleagues are emailing me with storms of protest at the UK government recommendations. The chances of getting caught up in anything are tiny, and the country really needs your tourist dollar. Having said that, I'd understand....

S. Africa is a worthwhile visit. Sure, you are confined to the roads and your vehicle, but you can book night drives, walks and the like if you are quick. One problem would be the SA school holidays which see Kruger packed, this year they're 29th June through to about 15th July or so. Check out the SANP website. I spent 5 days there last yerar, with 2 in Hluhluwe-Umfolozi and am heading back to Kruger and the Kalahai this year. The country is cheap, friendly, well set up for visitors, and the game in the parks eminently within the reach of your equipment. Light is rather washed out from 10-4, with opacity to the sky, take a grad gray filter to compensate. It's not the Mara nor Amboseli, but it is well worth visiting. If you want to switch, do your research NOW. Check out Nigel Dennis' website for recommendations on Kruger places to stay for best phot ops. Good luck.

Regards

AF

Dave,

I have only been to Kenya once...so far. Trip of a life time. Two things other responses did not cover are dust and safari types. The dust is everywhere, you can't keep out of it. It is very rough on the equipment. I went with 8 other photographers, 3 were using digital. They had many disruptions shooting with the electronics. Probably due to heavy dust and the bumpy roads. Take a lot of cleaning supplies, and clean the equipment every day.

Other consideration is the type of tour you join. Pick one specifically designed for photographers. The driver guides are not upset at requests to stop, back up, and get a better angle on the light. Better yet, they know what angle you need for the lighting. The tour I went on had a maximum of three photographers to a nine seat vehicle. Each person got a roof hatch to themselves, and a seat for their gear. Non-photographers tend to get upset at stopping for multiple exposures. In Kenya, the opportunities to get out of the vehicle are limited, so you spend a great deal of time with your guide. The trick is to pick a tour operator with excellent guides. I had an excellent time with East African Ornithological Safaris. All great comments, no complaints. Ditto the above comment that Kenya needs the tourist dollars. I felt safe 100% of the time, but that was last year. Also, no thefts from our group.

I used a 70-300mm, some with a 2X teleconverter. Wish I had more length, but still got close enough, except for the birds. The lens needs to be torn down and cleaned.

Mary