dave schlick

i went to iowa for vacation.. my son wanted one of those grocery

store cameras, 600/800 asa.. on sale 6.00 dollars.. i sighed when he

bought it, but kept it to myself.. well we got the shots back

tonight, not a bad shot in the bunch!!!!..inside, outside, long

range , short range, . it would be hard for me to do that well with

the saturation and no grain with my best canon.. this is not about

large format but its about tecknology, and that is about all

formats... im beginning to feel like a dinasour.. dave.

The Kodak MAX HQ cameras (which have a glass lens and are a bit more expensive than the plastic lens models) give really excellent quality, in my experience. I use them whenever I'm worried about dropping an expensive camera in water/sand/paint etc... - or on the infrequent occasions when I've left my "real" camera behind.

Kelly's comments about police photography got me to thinking about CSI (Vegas). I like the show (OK, I like the older blonde...), but i crack up when they are using cameras, firing indiscriminately. OT, I've always wondered why when they show cameras on tv, there is no brand visible, for instance no "Nikon" or "Canon" on the prism, but they show brands for everything else, GM vehicles for instance...

I assume that you just got 4x6 prints? If so, maybe the lesson is that for small prints, many of the things we obsess over don't really matter that much. It might be interesting to blow up one of these images from the fantastic plastic camera, to see how well they hold up. 30x40 seems like a lot to me, but I guess the viewing distance is important.