I did a product inventory a few months back for a place

called "Chrome Shack"; an automotive accessory store. We did about 50

products as a sample shoot and now they have opted to proceed to do

the entire product line for a catalog. The samples turned out ok but

this was a fist experience for me with such a reflective material -

Chrome! My equipement was a solid white background, 10D and 550 flash

(bouncing). Any suggestions/techniques out there on how to best shoot

Chrome would be greatly appreciated!! Kindest Regards, Jammey Church

"Light- Science and Magic" is a good resource for photographing metal.

The key issue is: does a particular area need to be light or dark? If light, then you need to have something white covering all of the relevant angles.

Foamcore sheeting and ways to hold pieces at odd angles will be important tools here.

Usually chrome stuff is tented to minimize reflection of the light source.A semi permanent table top tent can be built pretty inexpensive.I have shot some chromed tools with a big softbox over head,and some small fill lights heavily diffused,this works fine.Like any metal objects,you have to have some highlights or metal looks like plastic.

Photographing chrome is just like photgraphing mirrors. You end up photographing the images of whatever is being reflected by the chrome. You have to surround your chrome pieces with reflecting surfaces that also act as the light sources. You can use fabric that can be used as either a light reflector or light diffuser, or foamcore, paper, etc to act as light reflectors. Working with rounded shapes can end up requiring you to totally surround the pieces with these materials and engulf them in light. In order to give a three dimensional appearance, you will need to work with different light intensities and shapes to accent the shapes and curves. You might even want to work with light subtraction, using dark reflector boards or fabrics to accent the three dimensionality by creating what looks like "shadows". You will definitely need more than one light source to make something like this work.