Teahtering for Nikon - how are you doing it?

stephen_doldric

<p>I'm posting this in Nikon form vs Digital darkroom since I need Nikon specific advice.</p>

<p>What is everyone using to tether? I've seen in videos of shoots that people have a small LCD monitor next to their camera. Then I've heard of others using an eye-fi card and somehow seeing it on an IPad (I shoot RAW). Followed by my own experience where I have tried tethering via HDMI to a TV and also computer Monitor. My TV and Monitor both produced retched results using the video out on the camera. Could just be the wrong monitor or crappy TV.</p>

<p>The only success I have had is tethering is to a laptop using Lightroom, but on Nikon it won't also write it to my flash card, which I would like. Also I don't want to lug around a laptop just to see the images on a larger screen during a shoot even if they end up in Lightroom later.</p>

<p>I shoot RAW and use a D700 and a D7100. The ideal solution for me would be an external monitor about the size of an iPad or smaller where the images still get written to the flash cards in the camera. "Pretending" price isn't an issue, what options do I have?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nick, a D2X?...that's approaching it's 10 year birthday! Did they have computers then?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not sure. We had things with round balls on wires that we moved back and forth :)<br>

I shoot landscapes, mostly, so D2X does the job, mostly. Besides it's all paid for!</p>

<p>You do not mention what type of computer you are using. I use a Macbook Pro and use Sofortbild available for free in the app store and also at <a href="http://www.sofortbildapp.com/">http://www.sofortbildapp.com/</a> (the website normally has newer versions available)</p>

<p>You can instantly view photos and also use your laptop to control the camera's settings has you shoot. It works great!</p>

<p>PS - images are stored to both the internal card and your laptop's hard drive.</p>

<p>Todd B, maybe I'm missing something but having read <em><strong>all</strong></em> the 'Features' it doesn't actually say it shows LIVE VIEW? Is that supposed to be a given?</p>

<p>There's loads of Instant Review here and Transfer and Import stuff there, but not what you can see live!!</p>

<p>The only clue is the <strong>LV</strong> button top right of the screenshot....but it's nowhere in the text.</p>

<p>Tethering existed long, long before Live-View was invented and operated on a Instant Review mechanism...kinda CLICK, CHECK and CHANGE as needed....and that <em>appears to be</em> how this operates! I don't believe that for a minute..... but!!</p>

<p>Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2 really needs to be updated, but it's rock solid. I use it with my laptop.<br>

I may have to have 2 sets going at once, I'm thinking of getting a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and tethering to that. It would make a good field monitor, though you can't just use it as a monitor, it has to be via laptop inputs.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Hi all,<br>

I recently purchased a Camranger for use primarily as a way to show clients photos as they are taken during a shoot. I use a Nikon D800 and an Android Nexus 7. I absolutely love the concept of wireless tethering for this purpose, but I've been frustrated with the Camranger's performance. It takes a fair bit of time to download the images and it doesn't allow you to look at images while it's downloading. So, if I fire off 25 shots in a row, you have to wait a good long time to look at any shots because it gets bogged down by file transferring. Also, it loses connection periodically. <br>

I'm currently using very slow compact flash cards (I think something like 25mb/s). If I upgraded my cards to the latest, such as 120 or 160mb/s, would that appreciably accelerate transfer speeds from camera (ie CF card) to the device? <br>

Thanks,<br>

Andrew</p>

<p> </p>