TC 20E III

arthuryeo

<p>This little TC is no where to be found. I guess the Winter Olympics have slurped it all up --- nothing left for the consumers --- as usual, just like the release of the D3 and the 500VR.</p>

<p>Nikon seems to be making the same mistake again and again ... really don't know how to learn from previous mistakes. Releasing a new product just for the Winter Olympics causes a steep uptick in demand by the pros. That's a given, don't you think? And, so what do you need to do? Expand your manufacturing capacity for the initial uptick in demand, correct? Well, looks like people (who are supposedly thinking individuals) are not really thinking.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>nothing left for the consumers --- as usual, just like the release of the D3 and ...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Come on Arthur, the D3 went on sale on November 30, 2007, which was a Friday. Merely one day later, you bitterly complained that the D3 wasn't available to consumers like you: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00NWBl">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00NWBl</a></p>

<p>And then just 10 hours after that, you managed to order one from B&H on Sunday, December 2. Exactly two long days after the D3 had been released. You told everybody to call B&H as if we could all afford a $5000 camera just like that: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00NWQF">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00NWQF</a></p>

<p>Clearly the D3S, the 300mm/f2.8 AF-S VR version 2 and the TC-20E III are going to be show cased at the Winter Olympics. Nikon sure knows where their priority should be.</p>

<p>Shun,</p>

<p>You can pull out postings all you want. If I recall correctly, none of the preorders at B&H came thru. I recall being so pissed off for months before I got mine and it wasn't from B&H. They could not fulfill the orders and there was such an uproar about them charging our credit cards and giving us no products. That much I remembered clearly.</p>

<p>So, please don't pull out threads to make accusations with such a passion.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I received an email from Adorama this morning that my new TC20E III has come in and they are shipping it for delivery this week. The original estimate was that they would be in stock sometime in February, so this is actually a little ahead of time I believe. I placed an order for it a day or so after the initial announcement. For what it's worth I am not doing photography at the Winter Olympics, although I wish I could!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If I recall correctly, none of the preorders at B&H came thru. I recall being so pissed off for months before I got mine and it wasn't from B&H.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Arthur, I was not aware that you did not get your D3 for months. If that was the case, I am very surprised that you did not complain about it back then.</p>

<p>Instead, the impression you gave was that you received your D3 within normal shipping time from B&H because you were showing off images you captured with the D3 and your then brand new 14-24mm/f2.8: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00NisS">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00NisS</a> That was posted on Decmeber 20, 2007, well within one month since the D3 was available to the general public.</p>

<p>Nikon certainly has its share of problems. Frequently I am the first to point them out. However, our complaints have better be based on facts.</p>

<p>Barry, it is actually alrady February in the US Eastern. Therefore, the TC-20E III seems to be on time, roughly.</p>

<p>Mary, the TC-20E III was announced on December 10 last year (December 9 in my time zone) along with the updated 300mm/f2.8 AF-S VR II. The TC-20E III has an improved optical design including an aspherical element: <a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00VDYx">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00VDYx</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>it's only a fantasy land for telling people how happy we are ALL THE TIME about Nikon and no complaints are allowed here.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>alrighty, then... move along, folks, nothing to see here...just the hearbreaking sound of one man's dream of owning a new nikon TC being crushed to the ground by the cruel forces of destiny. evidently, money doesn't buy happiness. but that shouldnt surprise anyone.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>Expand your manufacturing capacity for the initial uptick in demand, correct?</em></p>

<p>It's only a matter of weeks or at most months before you can find the new product widely in stores. Special production capacity only for a couple of months would be complicated to arrange and a bad business strategy, I think. If they erred on the overproduction side, Nikon would not be able to charge more from the early adopters. The high initial demand combined with scarce availability generates further demand and thus is good for sales in the long run... and that means Nikon is better off financially and able to put more money into R&D for products that we will benefit from. Even though admittedly the hype makes people buy stuff they don't need which isn't good for the planet even if it is good for Nikon.</p>

<p>Anyway, it's just a 2x TC. Initially people are excited and then they realize that all TC use is with compromises; look at all those extra elements that'll generate some flare. That's my prediction ;-) Luckily I don't own a 300/2.8 or 500/4 to put it on so I am saved of this NAS wave. Too bad there's this D3X thing that I could use ...</p>

<p>Shun said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Arthur, I was not aware that you did not get your D3 for months. If that was the case, I am very surprised that you did not complain about it back then.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>OK, may be not for months, but I withdrew from the B&H order after they charged my credit card and nothing was delivered. I think they have since changed their policy. Perhaps, this is also a spill over from waiting for the d@mned Leica M9, which has shrunk my tolerance for slow delivery to zero.</p>

<p>Sorry for the complaints, it's just a TC. Now, if it were a D4, it will be totally different. :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>alrighty, then... move along, folks, nothing to see here...just the hearbreaking sound of one man's dream of owning a new nikon TC being crushed to the ground by the cruel forces of destiny. evidently, money doesn't buy happiness. but that shouldnt surprise anyone</strong> . -<strong> Eric Arnold</strong></p>

<p>Priceless, Eric you have made my day today, despite saying this yesterday!!</p>

<p>Good to know Nikon and retailers really do read photo.net and listen to their most ardent customer.</p>

<p>Arthur, would you mind posting a demand that my mom's doctor authorize the refill for her thyroid medication? Her complaints don't seem to be effective and even the pharmacy's repeated requests have been ignored.</p>

• 3 weeks later...