TC 14 E II Feedback

Sandy Vongries

Had been thinking for a year or so about getting a modern teleconverter for my newer Nikon lenses, mostly with the thought of a bit more reach in a smaller package, and as an "in case" for travel where gear is necessarily limited. Did some research yesterday for a friend who is also interested in the TC 14 E III. Got me fired up, found a Minty one on Roberts Used Photo Pro at an excellent price and bought. I have considerable experience with the older Teleconverters and have and use several. All the reports I found on the TC 14 E II were favorable. Am interested in any input from actual users.Thanks in advance!

I have both the original TC-14E and the latest TC-14E III. For all practical purposes, the TC-14E II is the same as the original TC-14E; the only difference is the outside finish.

Optically both are excellent, but of course the TC-14E III has newer optics. One thing to keep in mind is that the TC-14E III can only work with G (and the later P) lenses. If you have any AF-S lens with an aperture ring, it will not work properly with the TC-14E III. I have tested that with my 300mm/f4 AF-S from year 2001.

• Like 1

I have both the original TC-14E and the latest TC-14E III.

Same here. I had hoped that the III would improve on the performance of the former but have not been able to spot any differences in optical performance. AF fine tune can be a bit problematic with a TC, especially when the lens is f/4 and slower; I have seen very distinct differences even when the AF fine tune was just slightly off. The best performance I have ever gotten was with a 300/4E PF on a D7200; I hit the sweet spot right on and was surprised on how well the combo with the TC-14E worked.

mostly with the thought of a bit more reach

That's where I think most TCs fall apart - they are fine for some more magnification at the same distances one usually shoots without them. When used to reach farther, things tend to fall apart in my experience. Also, they tend not to work well with zooms - though I was quite surprised when using them behind the 200-500. On the 80-400, not so much. I also have the Sigma 1.4x for use behind the 150/2.8 macro - the combo works quite well.

I purchased the TC-14EIII mostly for use with the 500/5.6PF lens - optically the combo is still fine but AF performance takes a major hit. Mostly, I try to avoid working with TCs now as I have the feeling (but not done any real work for proof) that cropping gets me about the same result as using a TC.

• Like 1

When excellent prime lenses are mounted to a matched teleconverter the advantage over cropping is always worthwhile even if it means stopping down one additional stop and upping the ISO one or two stops.

This is something I have learned since moving to digital photography 14 years ago, and across 8 cameras.

Maybe it's one of 'those' Nikon designed incompatabilities?

Indeed. The tab on the TC that allows only AF-S lenses to be mounted. That a third party TC doesn’t work behind a Nikon lens with build-in motor is not too surprising.

matched teleconverter

Not too many “matching” ones around, I suppose. 1.25x for the 800/5.6 and the build-in one in the 180-400. A 1.4x might work reasonably well behind a 300/2.8; 400/2.8, 500/4, and 600/4 and even a 300/4. From experience I learned that the 1.7x doesn’t do well behind a 300/4.

I meant manufacturer's teleconverters, sorry. Nikon for Nikon, Canon for Canon etc.

I have used Canon FD 2X-A, 2X-B, 1.4X-A, Nikon TC-300, TC-14B, TC-14E, TC-16A, Canon FD-EOS 1.26X, Canon EF 2X, EF 1.4X, Kenko FD-EOS 2X, and the Kenko 1.4x is on the way. Never tried the TC-17E since the 16A was extremely good and cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to ask before this thread drifts into history whether anyone with experience of both the TC14E/14EII and the TC14E III has compared the two types for autofocus and VR performance with modern telephoto glass. I have an almost 30-year-old TC14E that I use occasionally with my 70-200FL -- no real problems there though it takes the edge just a tad off the optics -- and with the 300/4PF, on which I really can't see optical degradation at all but it slows way down for autofocus and pretty much neuters VR. I'm curious if the newer design does better in terms of playing with the autofocus and VR.

The original TC-14 E and TC-20 E were designed for the 1992 AF-I lenses. Nikon replaced them with AF-S lenses in 1996 before the Atlanta Summer Olympics but those original TCs continued. I bought my 300mm/f2.8 AF-S in 1998 along with my first TC-14 E, but it still says AF-I on it.

I don't have the TC-14 E II, but optically it is exactly the same. The outside finish changes to wrinkle and I think it says AF-S by then. I think those TCs are still excellent today.

The TC-14 E III has a totally new design. It maybe a tiny bit better optically, but it cannot work with older AF-S lenses with an aperture ring. All AF-I lenses have an aperture ring.

• Like 1

The optical design is very different, but i guess the IQ may be very similar!

Isn't there something odd about the legacy compatibility of the TC1.4 III?

Hard to believe that even the TC-14 E III has been out since 2014. I bought mine from Keeble and Shuchat, a local camera store that went out of business in 2016.

We have discussed this before. Version 3 lacks the aperture follertab for the aperture ring to work properly.

2053502086_TC-14E_13_0001.jpg.0ba14356c30e03e6a5dd0a3b6be8628a.jpg

• Like 1

Am interested in any input from actual users.

FWIW, I find that on my sub-optimal copy of the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G VR that I can shoot wide open up to about 135mm (195mm with my TC-14eII attached) and can essentially recover lost contrast in post with resolution being the same, but after that things get dicey at f/4 and if I actually want the extra reach I need to stop the lens down to f/5.6 and then it's great (considering that I would rather being shooting with the latest 70-200/2.8 NIKKOR).