Targets for white balance

john_.

i recently saw a target ( not a bullseye ) which consisted of the black white

and gray on it, was just wondering if any wedding photogs out there bring that

to their gigs or if they shoot Raw and just fix everything in post... I am sure

it goes both ways, just wanted to get some ideas...

I shoot 99% jpeg. I don't use an assistant to carry around white balance targets and besides it would slow me down. I set the kelvin temp on the Canon 20D for the appropriate conditions.. I don't use a white balance target because most of my brides and grooms are wearing them(the white and black at least). If the bride's dress is ivory I will measure off the white collar of the groom's shirt and the lower part of his black pants in photoshop with the white set at 240 and the black set at 20. These are points that give me clean color with no color casts--but often the color cast belongs. In a warm tungsten light setting I want a warm look and in the shade I will tolerate more blue and a hint of green if I am surrounded by grass and trees.

Yes, I use a target (Lastolite) for both RAW and jpg. Even in RAW, I like to have a reference point for color temp adjustment. If shooting if the ultimate image intention is b/w, the Lastolite target also serves as a reference for luminance - which gray cards (KODAK) are not consistent with. For one snap of the target at the beginning of each set, this is a big pay-off.