Tamron Repair?

Friends, while shooting my Tamron SP 150-600mm/5-6.3 (Nikon mount) the other day the autofocus suddenly ceased to function. No warning, no adverse events or issues, it just quit working. I've manipulated all the switches on the lens several times, and I have fitted it to multiple bodies. Nothing. All of my other lenses continue to function correctly on both bodies.(D7100 and D5100.) The manual focus continues to work on the Tamron, as smooth as ever, without binding or any noise. Since the primary purpose of this lens is wildlife photography, I can continue to use it in manual mode, but autofocus is very desirable. I live in the Salt Lake City, Utah, area. First, is this lens worth repairing? (Purchased used for $600 US.) Second, if it's worth repairing, do you have recommendations on where to send it? I see very mixed reviews online regarding cost and efficacy of Tamron factory repair services. Your input and insights are sincerely appreciated. Happy trails, David.

• 4 weeks later...

No responses in almost 4 weeks, so I'll suggest contacting KEH Camera and see what they might do. I had a lens collar replaced on a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D back in 2003. It took a long time to get it back; don't know what turnaround is like these days.

KEH currently has flat-rate pricing for repairs. Zoom lens rate is $235.

Repair

Sorry for the late reply here. When my Tamron 17-50 needed repairs (outside the warranty period), I sent it directly to Tamron. As I recall, they were pretty prompt about sending back an estimate upon receipt of the lens, and after I approved repairs, got the lens back to me in reasonable time. So I would start there... at worst you can decide not to proceed and have the lens sent back to you.

Seems like you tried it on a couple bodies and verified other lenses work fine, so you ruled out a body issue.

Try looking at the lens contacts on the back of lens where it connects to the camera body to insure it is clean, no funk on contacts.

As for Tamron repair, I had to send my Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 back to Tamron for a firmware upgraded to address compatibility issues with the new Canon 5D Mark IV. Tamron repair upgraded the firmware, cleaned the lens, and aligned the lens, though it was always tack sharp and still is. Probably just giving it a thorough going over before returning it to me. The work was done under warranty after I had to provide a copy of the receipt, even though the lens was manufactured in 2015 and has 6 year warranty, I had to show a receipt for warranty work, no receipt, no free warranty repair, though they would have fixed it for a couple hundred. But I digress, my point is the turn around was a little over a week, perhaps 10 days, sent from my local camera shop back to them and back to my local shop. I did have to pay shipping, $25 I think it was. Just throwing that out there.

As to if it is worth it, is auto focus worth a couple hundred bucks? Could you get a replacement lens for less? I would think it is worth it on a big lens like that. Trying to capture birds in flight with that beast and manually focusing would get old fast for me. I would say yes, fix it.

Cheers, Mark

• 3 months later...
Friends, while shooting my Tamron SP 150-600mm/5-6.3 (Nikon mount) the other day the autofocus suddenly ceased to function. No warning, no adverse events or issues, it just quit working. I've manipulated all the switches on the lens several times, and I have fitted it to multiple bodies. Nothing. All of my other lenses continue to function correctly on both bodies.(D7100 and D5100.) The manual focus continues to work on the Tamron, as smooth as ever, without binding or any noise. Since the primary purpose of this lens is wildlife photography, I can continue to use it in manual mode, but autofocus is very desirable. I live in the Salt Lake City, Utah, area. First, is this lens worth repairing? (Purchased used for $600 US.) Second, if it's worth repairing, do you have recommendations on where to send it? I see very mixed reviews online regarding cost and efficacy of Tamron factory repair services. Your input and insights are sincerely appreciated. Happy trails, David.

I bought a Tamron from a store that went out of business...lost my receipt ect ect...Finally remembered I had used my credit card for the purchase..got a receipt from them and talked to Tamron in New Jersey...They fixed and returned the camera in less than 5 days to Idaho...and I have had no further problems with Nikon D-300 D-7100 bodies...I have had countless conversations with people over clean this or that...adjusting things on the camera menu...Send it in Send it in...the Generation 2 Tamron has had a few of these glitches