Tamron Press Release - REDEFINING THE SP SERIES LENSES DESIGNED FOR THE NEW ERA OF IMAGING

First to debut: two fast, fixed focal standard lenses packed with exceptional features that deliver ultimate performance

SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F012)

SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F013)

September 2, 2015, Commack, New York</em>- Tamron, a leading manufacturer of optics for diverse applications, announces the launch of a new series of SP lenses that are optimized to make the most of the superior imaging performance delivered by the latest advancements in digital photography.

For more on this news please visit here: <a href="http://www.tamron-usa.com/news/35mm/35_F012_45_F013_2015.php">http://www.tamron-usa.com/news/35mm/35_F012_45_F013_2015.php

<meta name="robots" content="nofollow" />

<p>Just got back from the Tamron release event in NYC and I'll be posting more later (possibly tonight, certainly tomorrow).</p>

<p>I raised the question of why two so similar lenses. The reply from Tamron was that they wanted to start out with a wide and a normal lens. For normal they wanted to go to closer to the actual diagonal of a 35mm frame (which is 43mm) than the usual 50mm. Why not wider than 35? I guess it was a question of a lens that fit into their design parameters (more on that later). Also, they wanted to make something that would be a "normal" lens on APS-C and a 35mm is equivalent to a 56mm (Canon APS-C) or 52.5mm (Nikon APS-C). Of course a 28mm full frame would have been a lot closer to a 45mm equivalent on full frame. As you would expect from any company, they really didn't get into the nitty-gritty details of why a 35 rather than a 28.</p>

<p>I expect 90% of photographers would chose one, not both, of these lenses so perhaps they wanted to provide a choice in the normal-wide range. I got the strong impression that these are the first two examples of their new and redefined "SP" lens line. Though they made no predictions I certainly would not be surprised to see a 28/1.8 and maybe and 85/1.8 at some point.</p>