Tamron 400/4 vs Nikkor 400/3.5

max_salganik

I tried searching for this topic but didnt find any direct comparisons. Has

anyone used both of these lenses? Im faced with the choice of getting the Nikkor

(and possibly a 1.4tc) or being able to by the Tamron with a 1.4tc and probably

having money left for a carbon fiber tripod and a bogen gimbal. If the nikkor is

that much better in terms of IQ, Ill go for it but I want to hear people's

experiences first... in particular Im interested in performance wide open... id

be shooting a wide variety of subjects (on a 1.5x body) and I will be hiking

(one of the reasons I had to part with my 400/2.8 a while back. If anyone has

any direct comparison photos that would be even better. Thanks for your help!

Max

The Nikon 400mm f3.5 EDIF is a classic lens and one of the sharpest teles ever made. I had one for many many years and loved it -- it was the LAST lens I sold when moving to AF -- even the 600mm f4 went before it did.

The Tamron is so-so -- not as good as the Nikkor in terms of contrast and resolution -- I would not use it wide open with teleconverters.

George Lepp tested then about 20 years ago in his Natural Image newsletter.

I don't have it to hand right now, but I do remember that the 400/3.5 was the better lens.

CA isn't a function of the recording medium. Film or digital makes no difference. All lenses will show some CA and some digital sensors can show effects similar to CA.

I don't think there's any doubt that the Nikon 400/3.5 is a very good lens indeed.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Correct, it's a young Wren.

I used it with a mechanical adapter (Fotodiox) on a Canon 20D body. Note that D70 doesn't meter with AI-S lenses, but the Canon does! It's much easier to focus manually with the Canon 1D MkII I have now, because the vewifinder is so much larger and brighter, but unfortunately I've sold the lens to my father! I can highly recommend it and while the Tamron seems sharp, the Nikon is probably even shaper and all the way from f/3.5, and so much better built.

• 2 years later...

<p>

<p >I have the following in my hands now Tamron 400mm/4.0 Nikkor 400mm/3.5 Nikkor 500mm/4.0</p>

<p >I bought them all to try out... I plan on using them on a Canon 5D</p>

<p >-- Greg Peters</p>

<br>

What was the result of your tests?<br>

I didn't realize the 400mm/3.5 was such a great lens. And, it beat out a Tamron 400mm/4 in tests.<br>

I have a Tamron 400mm/4, using it with a Nikon TC301 wide open..for a 800mm/f8 combo. I'm thinking of selling it, & getting a Nikon 400mm/2.8 (used with TC301 2x) or Nikon 400mm/3.5 (used with TC301 2x).<br>

There are some 400mm/2.8 available used for ~$1400 (heavily used)..suppose I stopped it down to f3.5, would it be as good as 400mm/3.5? Thinking of springing for a 400mm/2.8, instead of a used 400mm/3.5 ($1000 - $1600 used).</p>

<p>My application requires 800mm focal length, so the above solution is 400mm + 2x doubler. Another approach, is a 600mm/4 + 1.4x (840mm FL). However, the 600mm/4 is big & heavy, as is the 400mm/2.8 (15 lbs?). If the 400mm/3.5 is such a superior performer optically, then it also has the benefit of being lighter.</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>The 400mm 3.5 is a phenomenal lens even in todays standards. I use it happily on a D700, together with the tc-301. To see samples visit this blog: <a href="http://panorama.yaalherman.com/en/?page_id=354">http://panorama.yaalherman.com/en/?page_id=354</a><br>

this lens is at it's best at f8, as you can see from here:<br>

http://panorama.yaalherman.com/en/?page_id=192</p>

<p>yaal</p>