Tamron 35-105 f/2.8 SP Adaptall-2 Opinions?

barryreid

<p>I've been getting a little obsessive about Tamron SP lenses of late (it joins a late model 17/3.5, 24-48/3.5-3.8, 28-80/3.5-4.2 & the 19AH version 70-210/3.5). Browsing the dreaded auction site I spotted the 35-105 #65A for £40 and made an impulse purchase today... I'll be picking it up later this week, but searching the interwebs I can find relatively few references to this lens - nothing on Adaptall-2.org for example.</p>

<p>I know they don't go for a great deal of money and the gist of what I'm readiing seems to be that the SP 28-105/2.8 is rubbish and this lens a bit better, but that's all a bit too relative for my liking. Can the crew here shed any light on this one so I can get an idea of what to expect. I'd be particularly interested if anyone has used both this and Canon FD 35-105/3.5 which I know or the SP 28-80 as I'll probably not keep two largish Tamron standard zooms.</p>

<p>So, is this big old Tamron 35-105/2.8 SP an Overlooked Gem or a Mediocre Monster?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have two now, I used an AF one on my Nikon film cameras way back when and loved it -thought it was as good as anything Nikon had at the time. Well, optically anyway. Mechanically, it had some wobbles. I remember some pro Nikon folks liking it because the closest Nikon had was the 35-70/2.8 and later the expensive 28-70/2.8. I don't know if I have a adaptall mount version and if I have a Canon mount to compare it with the 35-105FD. For the price you paid, I wouldn't sweat it.<br>

If you are getting into SPs, you will have to have them all ... just saying.</p>

<p>The image below shows the 35-105 alongside the SP28-80 I already own. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the 35-105 in relation to the 28-80, the 2.8 lens has a similar width, shares the 67mm filter thread and the difference in length is really quite minor. It won't therefore upset my system by taking up significant extra bag space.</p>

<p>The overall feel is of a slightly lower quality of construction, a good example being the lens cap and the hood which both feel really cheap in comparison with the older lens. This is a shame as the build of some of my other Tamron SP lenses is superb, particularly the 70-210 (#19AH) which easily has the best feel of any one touch zoom I've ever used. On the camera it feels OK and the finder image is nice and bright (only by comparison with the 28-80 - everything is a bit gloomy here in London today). I've got a fresh roll of film in my Contax 159 and I'll try and get some shots off with it over the weekend...</p><div>00byIQ-542338384.jpg.154f3d0eb0566713b941e4f7daa01c8f.jpg</div>