Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for sports?

ed_v.

I'm looking for a midrange zoom for indoor sports. I already have the 70-200 f/2.8 L but find it to be a too long in

smaller gyms on my 40D. I like the range, price and quality of the Tamron but I'm concerned about focus speed and

accuracy. Anyone have experience with this lens for fast moving subjects?

I should also add that I currently use a 35 f/2 and 50 f/1.8 for closer subjects but using primes for things like

gymanstics where the athlete is moving around is frustrating. Also, since I do this non-professionally I'd like to stay

under $500.

Thanks.

<p>Check out the review at: http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-28-75mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-Lens-Review.aspx<br>

Bottow line of focusing:<br>

"The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Lens' <strong>AF is noisy and somewhat slow</strong> . More concerning is the 28-75's difficulty in locking focus in low light/low contrast situations. My <a href="http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-17-40mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx">Canon 17-40mm f/4 L USM Lens</a> quickly focus-locked in situations where the Tamron only hunted. FTM (Full Time Manual) focusing is not on the 28-75's feature list. Since the focus ring turns during AF (definitely not my favorite feature), focus distances can be (and are) marked on the focus ring itself instead of in a window. The Tamron manual indicates that damage can be done to the lens if the focus ring is held while the lens is autofocusing. I frequently found myself supporting the lens (at least partly) by the focus ring in real use. Of great importance - AF accuracy has been very good. The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Lens is an internal-focusing lens. The objective lens does not rotate with focusing or zooming and does not extend with focusing."</p>

<p>I used to own it and while its a very high quality lens auto focus speed is not its strong point. I don't think it's terrible but once I used an L I realized later how much it lacked. I would bet its about as good as your 35 or 50 1.8 in focus speed and for the money its a great buy. </p>

Thanks for the responses so far. It seems like the lens is not a speed demon, but if it's on the same level as my two current primes it might just be worth the price of admission for me. I probably should have mentioned in the OP that I'm considering buying used to save some $$, so if anyone has any warnings about longevity, please let me know.

<p>I don't have any experience with the lens but....<br>

for 40D 28mm is not enough wide, If I'll be in your situation I will choose something more wider with f2.8 like tamron 17-50 2.5 or something like that.<br>

It will cost around $500 without VC (tamron's IS) and $650 with VC. But this is only my choice, you yourself are the best guy who know what you need.<br>

:)<br>

prasad</p>

<p>hi i use the 28-75 and 50-150 in nikon mount. i have shot snowboarding with the 28-75, i'd say the bigger limitation is the camera's AF system and frame rate--it's much faster on a d300 than a d80. the HSM on the 50-150 is very fast--it focuses so quick i use it in AF-S mode since it gets jittery in AF-C. if the sigma is too long for your purposes i wouldnt hesitate to get the 28-75. not a speed demon as stated earlier but quite capable, especially for the price.</p><div>00V4QZ-193203584.jpg.a4882c1768f1ff3cd32162ad129eb63e.jpg</div>