Tamron 24-70 & 6D - compatibly

russ_albion

<p>Lol, Peter, no that's something I'm most likely to do. <br /><br />Marcus, thanks I will ask around but it doesn't make sense at this stage for these two well established companies to pull a move like that. I'm sure the much older Tamron 28-75 would also work just fine with the 6D.</p>

<p>"Di" in Tamron-speak means that it is a full frame (35mm) lens that has been "<a href="http://www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/technology.asp#DI">Digitally Optimized</a>". So it should work on any of Canon's 6D, 5D and 1D models, as well as any EOS film camera. It'll also work on any crop camera, like the 7D, xxD series and the Rebels/Kiss/xxxD series.</p>

<p>As always, when buying a third party lens, there is a small risk of incompatibility. Canon does not share their EOS specifications with third parties, so they've all (Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, etc.) had to reverse-engineer the mount and control systems to work on EOS cameras. </p>

<p>But the introduction of a new camera isn't likely to be a problem.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As always, when buying a third party lens, there is a small risk of incompatibility. Canon does not share their EOS specifications with third parties, so they've all (Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, etc.) had to reverse-engineer the mount and control systems to work on EOS cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think the 3PLD (3rd Party Lens Discrimination) chip works by communicating w/ the lens to determine the origin and model, and penalize the AF speed and accuracy of lenses that can't verify they are built by Canon. Rumor has it that it also checks to see if the lens is a modern 'L' and 'turbo-boosts' the AF speed, and AF phase-detect accuracy... maybe that's pure internet speculation/ conspiracy mongering, but I think it MUST be true! ;-) </p>

<blockquote>

<p>But the introduction of a new camera isn't likely to be a problem.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>To the contrary.<br>

If there <em>were</em> to be a problem, this is precisely where it would occur -- as new features are added, the likelihood of a bug in older, reverse-engineered firmware/software is increased.<br>

One would probably not suggest (unless they had a very good lawyer on retainer) that Canon would ever engineer a new item to be incompatible with older products made by their competitors, but there are many examples of such behavior from the early days of computers.<br>

That being said, the "<a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/history/eos20th/eos20thAnniversary.html">Electro Optical System</a>" has been pretty well pried apart by the competitors over the many years since 1987. So practically, you can buy new bodies and fit almost all older EF-mount lenses to them, but not <em>quite</em> all.</p>

<p>I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II and Caon 30D using both the Tamron 28-75 and the new Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC. I would also highly recommed teh Tamron 70-300 VC. Great combination. However, discussing the LCD thing... It is funny when I use Adobe Lightroom Version 4 it is able to automatically select the correct lens when I shoot with my L-series lenses, but I haev to manually find a select the right lens when I shoot with my Tamron lenses, strange. <br>

Doesn't matter this is very trivial and nitpicking. </p>

• 3 months later...
<p>I am using the Canon 6D with a couple of Canon lenses and one Tamron lens: SP 24-70mm F/2.8 USD Di VC (the newest Tamron 24-70mm) I'm not sure that this is a compatibility problem because I get great pictures with this Canon/Tamron conbination. But one thing I have noticed is that my battery drains quickly with this particular Tamron lens attached. With Wi-Fi off and GPS off and even with the camera completely shut off, the battery will drain overnight with this lens attached, and even more quickly if I am shooting with it. I have not found this to be the case with any Canon lens I have used with the 6D. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, is there a solution?</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>the only problem with tamron 24-70 vc and eos 6D combination, i cant use lens aberration correction in 6D menu. it says "correction data not available. cannot correct - no data. can anyone help me?<br>

the battery issues not happen to me. it just fine and i love this combination</p>

<p>[[the only problem with tamron 24-70 vc and eos 6D combination, i cant use lens aberration correction in 6D menu. it says "correction data not available. cannot correct - no data. can anyone help me?]]</p>

<p>Canon does not provide any lens correction data for 3rd party products. You would need to do the corrections in post using Lightroom or DXO or similar. </p>