Tamron 17-50mm versions

robert_k1

<p>Yes. There was at least one non-VC version without an internal AF motor, so that it would only work with bodies that have a motor driving AF through a mechanical screw.. Got one right here: XR Di II is what I can read. It's excellent. Maybe a touch less sharp than the far more expensive Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 AF-S, but more resistant to flare. Some peopled said that the the first version with the motor wasn't as good, but I have no first-hand knowledge of that. I also don't know the VC version.</p>

<p>I have been using the VC version for the last two years shooting concerts and events and find it to be excellent. My copy is sharp and clean, and I do make use of the vibration control. I use it with a D300s and an SB-600 flash. I highly recommend it.</p>

<p>The BIM (built in motor) version is my work lens when shooting events. In my opinion it is the best value mid zoom for APS-C. My version doesn't have VC. I couldn't see the point at that focal length given at f2.8 with high ISO capabilities of modern bodies it would need to be quite dark to require shutter speeds below 1/50. However, I don't really use VC lenses so haven't really had the chance to understand and take advantage of that technology. The other point on VC is that I use this lens on people, who have a tendency to move, which means unless I am dragging the shutter, I try to use fast shutter speeds.</p>