Tamron 17-50 VC vs Nikon AF-S 17-55

kohanmike

<p>I was in Simon's Camera Hollywood earlier today looking around, when I saw that they had a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC lens for Nikon. Simon came over and asked if I would like to try it out. He opened the box and put it on a D300s. I snapped a few shots around the store to get feel for the auto focus speed. Not bad, but I wondered how it would compare to the Nikon 17-55 AF-S. Simon put one on the D300s and I felt it out. I have to say, it did not feel any faster than the Tamron. He put the Tamron back on and I shot some more, and for sure the auto focus worked just as fast as the Nikon. I've been reading that the AF speed on the Tamron was not that fast, but it's very obvious to me that it keeps right up with Nikon.</p>

<p>By the way, they also had two Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 lenses on the shelf.</p>

<p>"FIT AND FEEL" are things i consider very important when purchasing a lens.</p>

<p>i used to use a D200/17-55 combo for weddings. when i realized that my neck and shoulders were not that strong anymore for heavy gear, i switched to the old version tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (no motor, no VC).............</p>

<p>then the tamron became too light for the D90 so i opted for the sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 --- a little heavier than the tamron.</p>

<p>so choose your lens to answer your demands. consider "fit and feel" like what matt mentioned.</p>

<p>I thought the fit and feel were very good. It's a little bigger than I thought, almost the same as the Nikon. It starts out a little shorter, but when both lenses are at maximum zoom, they're the same length. The Tamron is definitely lighter, but still feels solid enough. I have considered the Tokina 16-50 because the 12-24 I have is very solid, which is also said about the 16-50, but I really like the vibration control in the Tamron. The store was not the brightest, and I did shoot a somewhat darker area, but not real low light, still, I was impressed.</p>

<p>Not zoomed, the Tamron measures 3.13" wide 3.7" long, the Nikon 3.4" x 4", they are very close. I use a Nikon 24-85 f/2.8-4 D that is 3.1 x 3.2 (I really like this lens but want a continuous 2.8, and VR/C is a nice addition). The Tokina is 3.3 x 3.8. </p>

<p>I have nerve damage in my neck and shoulders so conventional straps don't work for me, I use a hand strap on both my D70s bodies. I also just bought a Cotton Carrier chest system that I used for the first time last Sunday and find it to be ideal for my situation, and allows me to carry two bodies with any kind of lenses very efficiently (I don't get anything for mentioning it).</p>

<p>Good to hear Michael about your findings about Tamron 17-50/VC. I played for a few days with a copy of it borowed from a good friend and I was very pleased too. I am also considering very seriously to buy a copy for my travel kit. For what does it offer, this lens seems to be a steal for the money. I love very much Nikon glass and quality but my back hurts too!</p>

<p>@ Vikas. 1st paragraph, yes. 2nd paragraph, correct.</p>

<p>I just recently got mine, and am very excited about it. Wish I had had more chance to use it, and thereby report on it. At the price of this lens, I personally could not justify Nikon glass.</p>

<p>Yeah, in general most lenses feel pretty similar for focus speed. Especially when they're very similar lenses. It's in extreme circumstances (eg lowlight) where you really tell the difference. I have the 17-50 in Sony mount - I good value for money, but I can't recommend it for any one that shoots often or does any paid work. Build quality is not good.</p>

<p>Michael, mine is the non VC version. To be honest, i can't see them being that different. My non VC feels solid when brand new as well. Nothing again Tamron, I've used this lens for 2 years or so now and have printed many images from it. It's just not very reliable, because of the build quality. If you have the money, i would definately go for the Nikkor :)</p>

<p>Perfect timing for this thread. I've just discovered this lens and am thinking of getting it.<br /> Possibly a silly question, but I can't find anything concrete on the forums about it. Will this autofocus with the D40? I know it says it has the new tamron built in motor. I just don't know enough about the tamron terminology to be sure that means it will work on the D40/D60<br /> I'd like to reccomend this lens to my college newpaper to buy (and for me to use all the time, haha!) but it would need to focus with our D40s<br /> <br /> Can anyone give me the final word on this?</p>

<p>The 17-50mm 2.8 from Tamron is IMO their best lens. I've used it on my D300 for over a year now and absolutely love it. The only reason to spend 3x the price for the Nikon would be for faster AF and weather seals. I'll also ad the AF is not slow w/ the Tamron version, it's just not as fast as the Nikon, but very close. The build quality is much better w/ the Nikon. So for the professional that is rough on his equipment obviously spend the $ on the Nikon version. For everyone else you will love the Tamron version. <br>

<br /> I personally am not a fan of Tamron's built in motor. I prefer their screw drive AF. Especially in this lens (17-55mm 2.8) I think the AF is more accurate w/ the older version. The VR is a nice but unnecessary addition to this lens. I suppose VR never hurt so why not?</p>