Taking Sports Photos

rachel_aldy

<p>If I don't say it, someone else certainly will, so, at the risk of seeming brusk, if you are asking this question, you almost certainly need a good basic knowledge of photography and some relevant experience, not any specific equipment. These days, almost any point and shoot camera, if used correctly, will produce excellent photos. </p>

<p>Using whatever camera you have, take some practice shots and figure out what you like and dislike about them. If you don't know what to do to improve the bad shots, post a few in the beginner's section of photo.net and we'll try to steer you in the right direction. Do this long before the day of the real "photo shoot" comes around. </p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>I've shot these with everything from a Mamiya TLR to a Nikon D200. Basically any camera with a lens in the slightly wide (35mm or equivalent) to normal (50mm) for the group shot. Something in the traditonal portrait head and shoulders range (70-105mm) for the individual shots. Use fill flash. Google "team photo baseball" to get an idea of what to do with posing.</p>

<p>The one piece of equipment I would add is a 4 to 5 foot white reflector. This one inexpensive item will do more to enhance an outdoor portrait than even expensive camera equipment. Have a friend or relative hold it or put it on a stand. </p>

• 1 month later...
<p>The key things to focus on when shooting team photos, especially outdoors. Are the light and the DOF. If you have a team that is multiple rows deep you need to ensure you don't use too narrow DOF or some of them will be out of focus. You also need to make sure you don't shoot in bright sunlight as that will create harsh shadows and cause people to squint. Lastly, as mentioned above a reflector can be really good to bounce light onto the subjects (acts as a fill light).</p>