Tabletop Tripods with Pentax 67?

bruce_mattes

I've never seen a tabletop tripod that I thought was worth fooling with on anything heavier than an Instamatic! I have, on some occassions, placed a camera on a table top and just held it firmly there while making an esposure. If you find a tabletop tripod that would be steady and strong enough to trust a Pentax 67 to it could be interesting for special situations.

I may not be much help, Bruce, but here's an answer just in the interests of balanced statistics... I don't have a table-top tripod. I do have a good solid Bogen tripod which used to go with me and the 6x7 in past decades but does only now when I know I'll use it. Most recent occasion was a couple years ago for some landscapes with full moon rising at sunset. I like the idea of a monopod, especially one set up to work as a walking stick too, and perhaps a defensive weapon. I have a monopod that's like a 2-section tripod leg: When have I used it? Never.

If the camera doesn't crush the tripod outright, you will probably find that it tips over unless you angle the camera

carefully to keep its center of gravity above the center of the tripod. In most cases, this will leave the camera aiming

slightly upwards, which is not usually where you wanted it to point.

I use a tiny Manfrotto with a small ballhead that's always worked with MF cameras from Bronica SQ series to Pentax 6x7. I'd ignore the usual urban legends about P6x7 vibrations overwhelming anything but sumo-sized tripods. I've used the little Manfrotto often to brace against buildings for vertical shots. No blur. There are tiny Sliks that maybe up to holding a P6x7 in portrait orientation but only with some countervailing weight.

"I've never seen a tabletop tripod that I thought was worth fooling with on anything heavier than an Instamatic! "

Then you likely have never used a Leica/Leitz Tabletop tripod with the Leica Large ball head; it will easily hold a Nikon D3 and 300mm f/2.8.

Mike Earussi is right: The Pentax 67 mirror kicks hard so use it with a cable release and lock up the mirror.

Thanks for all the answers..

I should have been more explicit when typing my question..

Due to the overwhelming opinions on PN regarding the need for tripods of a certain weight to tame mirror slap &

shutter curtain vibrations, I had not considered using a P67 as Mr. Sunley pictures above..

I was thinking more as using a tabletop tripod as a brace against buildings & other static objects, as Mr. Watson

suggests..

Thanks to Mr. Vener, Mr Watson, Mr. Neupert, & Mr. Sunley for letting me know that regular tabletop usage with

the p67 cameras is possible..

Bruce