T-Mount Question

The interchangeable T-Mount system was popular around the 1960's before Tamron introduced the Adaptall mount. T-Mounts attach to the lens via a 42mm thread with a pitch of 0.75mm, as opposed to the 1mm pitch of the M42 lens mount.

Now I've recently acquired a couple of what I think are T-Mount lenses, but the mounting thread is larger, more like 46mm. Is this still classed as a T-Mount? And are the larger thread T-Mounts available anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

The interchangeable T-Mount system was popular around the 1960's before Tamron introduced the Adaptall mount. T-Mounts attach to the lens via a 42mm thread with a pitch of 0.75mm, as opposed to the 1mm pitch of the M42 lens mount.

Now I've recently acquired a couple of what I think are T-Mount lenses, but the mounting thread is larger, more like 46mm. Is this still classed as a T-Mount? And are the larger thread T-Mounts available anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

Can you post a couple of pics of them, please ? They sound intriguing.

Here you go. You can see that the mount on the left, which fits both lenses, has a larger diameter thread, that on the right is the normal 42mm. These are old pre-set lenses with near circular 12 blade apertures, sought after for alleged smooth Bokeh. The front ring pre-selects the taking aperture, the rear ring flips between full aperture and taking aperture. Also here's a picture taken at F/8 with the little Palinar 105mm mounted on my D700:

TMountPN.thumb.jpg.291d5c8226e300b6dbf21ce109dc6b3b.jpg

105exPN.thumb.jpg.a91973654c462dde5b992619b76b9b7e.jpg

Edited by John Seaman
  • Like 1

I have a 100 mm f/1.8 preset Komura in Pentax 42 mm screw mount that has a similar looking adapter--I have tried to remove it but it wasn't coming off easily and I didn't want to force it. I used to have a preset 28 mm f/3.5 Komura also in Pentax screw mount but sold that off decades ago. You're probably right that your adapter is somebody's proprietary version of a T mount.

Thanks for the responses. Hmm. Gordon's links are promising, but the "Weird Adaptors" link seems to peter out without a definite conclusion (rather like this thread, probably).

Although a Miranda connection has been mentioned, it seems strange that my lenses with the odd adaptors are Hanimex and Palinar make. There was also a similar adaptor for Minolta MD in the job lot, mainly acquired because it contained a rare Minolta XM SLR with an F/1.4 Rokkor-G lens. Of which more anon, perhaps.

Was going to suggest Komura - they used a variety of interchangeable mounts.

Komura used the Unidaptor mount, which bayoneted on to the lens. There were a bewildering number of interchangeable mounting systems - Vivitar YS? T4? Here's a Unidaptor mount on a Komura Sankyo Kohki lens:

KomrPN.jpg.597e5222c8bdb2e92da7e635cdd2d40f.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks in advance.

No not T-mount, I've heard Hanimex had their own variant adaptable mount. I don't think I've come upon any yet. Perhaps I should double check my Hanimex & Palinar lenses :)

FWIW T-mounts are still popular for mounting to telescopes (& to a lesser extent microscopes) but more commonly known as T2 now - I don't think there's any difference in thread or registration officially the T2 allows orientation to be adjusted, but the names seem to be used interchangeably.

Edited by petrochemist

Komura used the Unidaptor mount, which bayoneted on to the lens. There were a bewildering number of interchangeable mounting systems - Vivitar YS? T4? Here's a Unidaptor mount on a Komura Sankyo Kohki lens:

[ATTACH=full]1436465[/ATTACH]

They had some earlier versions for preset lenses that were less complex than a bayonet, I think just a flange and grub screws. Not got my Sankyo Kohki 135mm here, or I'd check.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was an equivalent solution, no complex couplings needed for a preset lens, so a simple screw thread does just fine.

My Pentacon 135mm has a removable rear section, held in place by a threaded lock-ring, same reason, to allow one lens body to accept multiple mount options at the factory.

The T(2) mount simply screws to a lens. It has no locking grub-screws that bite into the lens thread. Whereas that Hanimex 'adapter' clearly has a locking grub-screw hole positioned in the 46mm thread area.

So it looks as if it was designed as a permanent, or semi-permanent fitment to the lens.

Enna, Munchen, Germany, also had an interchangeable mount system, designed to fit 'permanently' to their lenses, but could be easily swapped if you could find an alternative mount. They introduced a short-lived user interchangeable socket adapter system shortly afterwards. The simpler, cheaper and more universal T mount won out.

Tamron's Adaptall system had the big advantage of allowing auto-diaphram and meter coupling to be retained across various cameras.

Whereas that Hanimex 'adapter' clearly has a locking grub-screw hole positioned in the 46mm thread area.

No, the grub screws only serve to lock the outer silver part to the inner black part. They don't reach the thread at all.

Then there was the Tamron Adapt-a Matic system on the Auto Tamron lenses. It supported auto stop down but couldn't support the extra bits needed for meter coupling. It was soon replaced by th Adaptall mounts, which could.