Swivel hooks for camera straps ?

frank uhlig

Does anyone know, use, or is there any source for swivel hooks that one can

install between the camera strap end and the camera, so as not to have to fidget

with the unwinding/unlooping of the naturally occuring loops of the camera strap

in one's bag.

Standard camera straps end in a straight width piece of around 3/8 to 1/2 inch

wide and attach directly to the lugs on the camera body. I would like to have

an easier task than reorienting that strap all the time when I pick up my camera.

Any resources know for this small "swivel hook"? Thanks!

Domke 'gripper' straps are available with a swivel. They place it roughly a foot 'up' from the camera on each side. This works well for me, as I often 'wrap' the right hand strap a turn or two on my wrist.

The hardware does give a little 'pause' with digital; it has a potential to flail around and scratch the viewing screen when I put it away in a bag.

Google searched "nylon webbing buckles and snaps" and "fishing swivels."

Fasnap and others look likely for swivel snaphooks and similar items sized to fit webbing. Some of the big game fishing "terminal rigging" or "terminal tackle" showed up some very impressive swivels up to 500 lb ratings. Some of them came in either black (black chrome or anodized or paint, it didn't say) or chrome or stainless. An older strap I had had a simple swivel snaphook, so I'm not sure a really comprehensive building supply/hardware store may not have some as well. Pet supplies might have some used on smaller animal leashes.

I have grown to distrust swivels on straps, having two fail due to wear. The swivel is usually composed of base metal, upset to capture it in the swivel block. The wear is very gradual, then slips without warning. I dumped a shoulder bag that way. Fortunately it was closed at the time, and no damage occurred. The bag has a lot of miles on it, and weighs about 22 pounds loaded (LowePro Pro-Mag II).

What I suggest instead is an Op-Tech strap, which has plastic clips to allow removal of most of the strap. You could then "iron" out the twists more easily. The clips will hold even if one of the ears is broken, and they are extremely tough. I don't bother to do even that - there are seldom more than 4 turns in the neckstrap, and I don't obsess over a twist or two. The clips are handy when using the camera on a tripod or flash bracket - the remaining ends can be refastened an used as a wrist strap.

I went Edward's route after facing the same dilemma only weeks ago.

I just picked up a nice litte Yashica Mat and needed a good strap for it. My Bronica system has the old-style 1 inch long leather loop with a steel D-ring in each end that stays on the camera body. When I take it out of the bag I simply snap my neck strap into the D-rings. I originally went looking for a similar setup.

What I ended up finding were Tamrac quick-release buckles. There is a short end you loop through your camera's connection point and it has a female plastic buckle. The male ends stay on your neck strap. That way, you only have about two inches of strap on your camera.

I found an inexpensive padded case for the Yashica and likewise attached another set of Tamrac quick releases to the case. Now my neck strap clicks into the buckles and serves to hold my camera case. When I want to take out the camera and shoot, I unlatch the strap from the case and click into the buckles on the camera. Same neck strap attaches to both. When not in use the case simply snaps on my belt. My cheap little padded neck strap does double duty and there's no second, annoying strap dangling from an empty case I have to carry.

Not high tech and flashy, but tremendously convenient and no extra strap to fuss with.

I think I spent a whopping 15 dollars total.