sweet spot

alon_birshtain1

Are u asking about the sweet spot for lens resolving power or aperture?

For lens resolving power: The sweet spot is usually the centre of the lens. All lenses get sharper as you move in from the edges towards the centre. On certain lenses, distortion occurs towards the edges as well.

For lens aperture: The sweet spot usually means 2-3 stops smaller than max aperture of lens. Some people say its between f8 - f11. In my opinion, this varies from lens to lens. Certain lenses are sharper and produce better better contrast at large apertures and exceptional lenses are just as sharp/contrasty at f1.4 as they are at f 5.6.

With zoom lenses, there is another type of sweet spot. This is for focal length. You usually get slightly better resolving power at middle focal lengths. Eg: on a 70-200 lens the sweet spot is usually between the 120mm - 160mm focal length.

Hope this helps. Clearer and more accurate explanations will definately be posted after this one.

Cheers!

!! In tennis, it is the part of the racquet that gets a great hit on the ball - - almost effortlessly! ~ For me, it equates on stage to a moment when the lights and the performance transcend. Can not answer for photography, however!

The sweet spot for a lens is generally the best aperture for

center and mid area image quality and excluding the deep corners.

Whats involved is resolution, acutance and contrast which

is usually referred to as sharpness. Most quality prime lenses

achieve this at or just before f/5.6, zooms may require f/8.0. In

critical testing you can sometimes see the bite at the center

fall off some even as the edges get a little better. By f/8.0

diffraction generally start taking some bite out of the best

lenses. F/11 is often a good compromise between DOF and

diffraction.<br>

<br>

Technically the sweet spot is were aberrations are well

controlled and before diffraction starts kicking in. Its

a compromise between these.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

The Philadelphia Naval Shipyard near the large drydock. Full moon out.<p>No,no, that is something else entirely. Sweet spot,in photo talk, often described as the portion of a lens within the center of its optical axis,where there is little/ less distortion of the image focused on the film plane. And this usage seems to translate into an iris number f stop somewhat less than the largest aperture of the lens. Tht sweet spot think of course usage has been extended to many other things. Let us say= the setting of any instrument or device where the best output is accomplished, where variable settings are provided... Hey, not bad. Aloha Alon, GS . Be well, eat prunes and yogurt daily

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure my english is good enough to translate my words but I read something about "sweet spot". For me "sweet spot" is the part of a subject you choose to get sharp and around of which you can get color random gradation, fuzzy parts and other halo. I read this on a paper about a special lens : the Lensbaby. This lens allows this kind of effect.

Lensbaby marketing hype may have misappropriated the term "sweet spot" for their own purposes, but the expression has been used for years to describe lenses that are well corrected to minimize optical distortion and flaws, unlike the Lensbaby which is designed to deliberately produce aesthetically pleasing flaws.