SuperMoon Tonight and Clear (for a change!)

The moon won't be full until Tuesday night, but it's very close, and shining brightly in a clear sky. Best of all, it's a balmy19F in Chicago. I might need a little push, coming off engineering a 9 hour recording session today. A full moon is not a very exciting photographc subject, but a SUPER SNOW MOON is something else, i suppose.

2049534563_sunrisesupermoonset11-15-16.thumb.jpg.5e4bc7e083760addeb4dd6e96e3fdc1d.jpg

Here is a supermoon photograph from November 15, 2016, taken from roughly the same position as the above photograph (and also while walking my same dog). The moon was considerably farther to the north than it's position yesterday morning, as is evident by it's position in relation to the volcanic butte, (Big Southern Butte, in southeastern Idaho), located at the far left corner in this photo, and to the right of the moon in the previous photo.

Both photographs were taken as single exposures, rather than composites. A single exposure works well if you wait until there is just enough sunshine for the "Looney 11" exposure rule (exposure duration equal to ISO at f:11) to apply to both the foreground and the moon.

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 4