Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 8-element version

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by hin_man, Jul 13, 2014.

1. [​IMG]
    DSC07951

[​IMG]
    DSC07914

[​IMG]
    DSC07927

I went too far in dressing up my takumar lenses on a red body. The M42 to C/Y adapter is now stuck on my Contax body, sometime it loosen up and sometime it get stuck and now it is semi-permanently stuck. The M42 adapter to C/Y has similar problem, probably worse, than the M42 to K adapter.

Now my Contax body is now turned into a m42 body with a deep scratch from my attempt to remove the stuck adapter. The Takumar in the picture is the Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with 8-element.

2. The last picture in previous posting is the S-M-C Takumar 28mm f/3.5.

[​IMG]
    DSC07958
    The 8-element version has a lower serial number for the early version, my copy is at 1491608 and the orange marker is to the right of the 4 meter marker.

3. SCL

SCL

Hin - I often use my Tacs on my Contax & Yaskica bodies via adapters. There is no way you should have the difficulty you are experiencing in getting the lens to release. If it also happens with C/Y lenses, then your camera body mount is probably either out of alignment via the attaching screws; if it only happens with the Pentax screwmount adapter, you should throw that adapter away and get one which fits properly...they can readily and inexpensively be obtained from the far east on that big auction site.
    That's too jazzy a body to not have the option to interchange lenses...and Taks definitely need lots of exercise to keep in good shape.

4. Stephen, thank you so much for the inputs. The adapter that I got was the problem, I manage to get it off yesterday but today, it get stuck again. If I ever managed to take it off, I will definitely throw it away and get another one to try. It came with a removal tool but it was poorly built not to the dimension of the two slotted holes on the adapter. I will try to find a better one. It would be a shame if the adapter permanently get stuck on the body.

5. A spanner help me remove the silly adapter and my Contax body is now free from the stuck adapter. I will try to find a better adapter.
    Speaking about the M42 adapters, the genuine M42 to K adapter is no longer available from Pentax/Ricoh webstore. I recently tried a copy Kipon M42 to K adapter -- it get stuck just like any other third party m42 adapter in a K-mount. It is a shame that Ricoh doen't sell the original genuine M42 adapter.

6. SCL

SCL

Hin - a trick I found works really well in removing adapters from M42 lenses when they get screwed on too tightly (not the camera bodies) is to grip the rear of the adapter/lens combination with a kitchen grip) material (sort of perforated spongy/rubbery) used for removing jar tops, for drawer liners, and coasters) and give a light twist. It is soooo easy and has worked every time. Now I always keep one of those kitchen doodads in my camera bag just in case.

7. @Stephen, thanks for the tip, I actually use this tip for many things but I have not used it on stuck M42 adapter.

Here are few test shots on a dancing horse this afternoon. The horse is an absolute beauty and I saw him all by himself dancing on a party where there is a DJ and people singing. I assume it is a boy and the horse will dance all by itself as soon as music is on and his steps paced with the music. The lighting is harsh in the mid-afternoon around 3.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All shot with S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4 8-element.

8. I always get mixed up with the wording among SMC, Super-Multi-Coated and Super-Takumar and I used them quite often wrongly in posting.
    [​IMG]

9. SCL

SCL

Beautiful, thanks for sharing.
    Steve

10. Thank you Steve. I have just ordered a hopefully better adapter from Fotodiox in Amazon.
    [​IMG]
    I don't know why I have love bug with film cameras and I don't have a solution at home for a good scan. I may go and get a used Pakon F135 Plus scanner that can scan the whole roll in a single strip. Another choices are Epson v700 refurblished and Pacific Image Primefilm XA. And I am undecided what 135 film to shoot with the red camera. For color, I like Ektar on 120 roll film and I like Acros 100, Tri-x 400.
    All product shots are done with S-M-C Takumar 50mmf /4.0 and I love the Takumar macro. Though not as fast as a 50mm f/2.8 and my copy only goes to 1:2 life size, the Takumar excels in its focusing ring. Like all Takumars, they all do very well in the manual focusing department. I highly recommend the Takumar macro for its small size and filter size is 49mm and the lens is small like any 50 normal lens.
    [​IMG]
    shot with s-m-c takumar 50mm f/4.0 macro

11. That looks like some fun gear to play with. My son just brought home an old Vivitar SLR from the thrift store so I might be having some fun getting him up to speed with that. His interest in vintage cameras is both curious and heartwarming!

12. Nice results. If you shop around you might be able to find a used M42-C/Y adapter that is made by Contax/Yashica. I had similar good luck finding one for Minolta manual focus a few years ago.

13. When I get home from work, I see the neighbor's flower for more testing opportunity with the 8-element lens. The super-takumar is colorful and have very good contrast even at wider apertures
    [​IMG]
    In f/2.0 with a close up +4 filter.

[​IMG]
    Likely in f/2.0 without close up
    [​IMG]
    Wide open in f/1.4 without close up

[​IMG]
    at f/2.0 without close up.
    The good color from this lens makes the visual pop on the subject. I hate to use the over-hyped wording but I do see the 3-D look from this lens. I love its smooth off focus rendering. I am trying to find something to complain about the lens -- some fringing and some glowing edgess at wider aperture but nothing can be taken away for its great color and bokeh.

14. @Mike, thank you for the tips. I should have thought of the original. Now I actually found one on ebay. I will try my Fododiox copy from Amazon first. And I will borrow the tip from Steve using a jar opener kitchen helper as a removal tool.
    @Matt, I don't have a good scanning solution for 135 films and yet I have an odd number of beautiful camera bodies. It is a shame. I have been re-thinking of investing into an Epson v700 for scanning, my other choices include a Kodak old scanning machine called Pakon F135 Plus that can take the full roll and complete scanning withing 4 minutes. But that was old technology and the software only runs on XP. Other < $500 choices include the PacificImage Primefilm XA/XE and Espon v600/v500.

My best Pentax K film body that is non-Pentax brand is the Ricoh xr-p but those are hard to come by that is in good working condition, I only managed to get 1 good working copy out of 3. Though the body is non-metal and seems like plastic and polymer, it has the best grip for k-mount and it has the best viewfinder with full detail on shutter, f/stop among others
    [​IMG]
    If Ricoh can come out with a digital FF like the Ricoh xr-p, I will be all over it.
    [​IMG]

15. [​IMG]
    DSC08170

[​IMG]
    DSC08142

[​IMG]
    DSC08163

[​IMG]
    DSC08141

Some wild flowers shots in my neighbor's garden. They are shot with Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 8-element in f/1.4 and f/2.0.

16. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Hin

17. My Fotodiox M42 to C/Y adapter from Amazon comes and it doubles the cost of the average $7 ebay adapters and the Fotodiox adapter is worse than the ebay adapters. My 42 lens will turn extra one quarter turn more into the m42 mount. Now that I use the original stuck adapter a couple of times and with Steve's suggestion with rubber jar opener on the side and the back rim of the adapter, I seem to manage dismounting without issue -- thank you Steve. And I may follow Mike's advice with the original old adapter for C/Y mount.
    Some square crops from the 8-element.
    [​IMG]
    DSC08170

[​IMG]
    DSC08149

[​IMG]
    DSC08115

[​IMG]
    DSC08125

[​IMG]
    DSC08140

I tried two other lenses to shoot similar scene the next day with Contax G Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm f/2.0 and Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC. The Takumar wins hand-down on the bokeh and color though the Canon is not too bad to my surprises. The Canon has a much warmer tone and more glowing edges at wide open aperture. I hate my Contax experience not because of poor quality but I use it with a Deo TechArt AF adapter and it just kill the experience with AF hunting. But even if I have a perfect adapter, my biased opinion goes straight to the 8-element version of the Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4.