Super-Secret Spy Lens Shoots at 90 Degree Angle

richterjw

<p>For all street photographers who thought you were discreet, here's the ultimate in conspicuous technology. This fabulous device allows the user to stand at an angle perpendicular to the subject. I'm also certain it's optical abilities are unsurpassed. JR<br>

<a href="http://www.likecool.com/Super-Secret_Spy_Lens--Camera--Gear.html">http://www.likecool.com/Super-Secret_Spy_Lens--Camera--Gear.html</a></p>

<p>All spy lenses have a serious disadvantage for street photography. If you encounter a grumpy subject an ordinary camera can get you off the hook because, hey, it only takes ordinary pictures. If you are challenged while being in possession of a SPY LENS then that constitutes absolute proof that YOU HAVE BEEN SPYING!<br>

Try discussing that at the local hospital emergency department when you explain to them..."You have a camera and lens, where?!"</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Old news, actually, but not many under 30 would know. Spiratone, much lamented of memory, and many other vendors offered these in several versions over the years. The earliest were just boxy right-angle mirrors (Mirrotach), the later ones, like the link above, tried to disguise themselves as long lenses (Circo-Mirrotach)</p><div>00Rlpg-96891684.jpg.7f2b430cbd234b3191679219bbbe5ddf.jpg</div>

<p>Ahh, the good ol' days of the back page ads in Modern Photography. The "Girlwatcher" lens (the ubiquitous 500mm f/8 T-mount preset tele). The sideways-look periscope lens, an idea cribbed from mirror peepsites used in WWI trench warfare (the new version looks a bit sleeker).</p>

<p>Big boys versions of comic book ads for X-Ray Specs.</p>

<p>I knew someone that actually bought on of those right angle attachments. I said, "instead of sneaking a photo of the young lady, just ask her politely if you can take her photo. You will get a better picture, and if you're lucky, her phone number."<br>

Lex- I think Tele Astronar used the "Girl Watcher" text in their ad copy. If I'm correct, they offered both 400mm and 500mm versions.</p>

<p>Yup, the 400mm f/6.3 T-mount preset was also somewhat popular, but never as ubiquitous as the 500/8.</p>

<p>Of mild interest to trivia buffs, Vivitar also sold a 300mm f/5.6 T-mount preset that was at least a notch above the 400/6.3 and 500/8 in optical and build quality. Not very common, roughly comparable in performance to an early 300mm f/4.5 Nikkor I tried (the pre-ED version).</p>

<p>Spiratone... brings back memories of my misspent youth in the late '60s, early '70s. They had a store in NYC. When I was around 12-13, a buddy and I used to haunt that Spiratone store looking for bargains, pestering the staff to let us look at the goodies advertised in their catalogs. They were really grumpy. "Hey, ya gonna buy sumpin', kid? What's yer name? Lou? Looky Lou? Hey, Lou, ya got money? Nah? Giddaddaheah, ya boddah me."</p>

<p>It was great. Spiratone was the epitome of a generation of photo geeks, closet comic book readers and kneebiters.</p>

<p>Johnson Smith and Co. were the company that had the comic book ads for the x-ray glasses and the like.<br>

And for sure, Spiratone was the "grown-up" equivalent. Adorama and Porter's sort of carry on the tradition of offering lots of do-dads and gim-cracks for photographers.</p><div>00RmJg-97113584.jpg.d0252f90e08f439ccdf3e5f8484ed4e2.jpg</div>