Super Ikonta Lens Sharpness Question

Hello all,

I've got the opportunity to get a Super Ikonta 531/2 with a Tessar 3.5/105mm lens or a Super Ikonta 532/16 with a Tessar 2.8/80mm lens. I like them both but also like the idea of the 531/2 since I can shoot 6/4.5 with it.

But my main question is, which lens will be sharper? The 105mm or the 80mm?

I'm not looking to shoot portrait work, more so landscapes, and street photography, but I will want my images to have detail and sharpness in them.

Thank you for any help

Either Tessar should be a good, workmanlike lens. With their large negatives (by comparison to 35mm), these older folders should do well. Using a tripod will make more difference than the lens, in all likelihood.

I’ll second this; my 521/2 Ikonta C (6x9) was my first “real” camera since my dad gave it to me in 1974 (46 years already... gulp!) and have used it ever since. A tripod makes all the difference for consistent results. Even the under-appreciated Novar on my Ikonta performs beautifully under those circumstances, so the Tessar will only improve upon that. Handheld shots can be done, but 1/200 sec or faster (if able) is pretty much essential; with slower speeds, it’s almost completely a matter of luck.

Whatever choice you make, you won’t be disappointed. Have fun and enjoy!

• Like 1

But my main question is, which lens will be sharper? The 105mm or the 80mm.

The one that's not been cleaned to death, or the one that was more correctly assembled during manufacture? Maybe the one that's held steadiest during exposure?

Condition is everything with a lens, so it's an impossible question to answer.

If your interested in 6x9 negatives, you would need the 105mm. I believe the 80mm lens camera is 6x6 only. I have several Tessar lens 6x9's and they are tack sharp from f11 out. Have fun, go with the 6x9 ! Aloha, Bill

Couldn't agree more. My 532/16 produces amazingly sharp hand held results and I would expect the same from the 531/2. Let us know which way you decide to go.

I'm ... looking to shoot ...landscapes, and street photography... I will want my images to have detail and sharpness in them.
Big question is at what aperture? look at https://photojottings.com/zeiss-ikon-ikonta-105mm-tessar-f-3-5/ Not my work / camera but reasonable resolution scans of an example shootout confirming

Tessar lens 6x9's ... are tack sharp from f11 out.
If you look at a DOF calculator stopping down seems needed with a 105mm anyhow and a leaf shutter should let you get away with light travel tripods.

Here is my 6x9 kit. G & 25A filters are Series 6, as well as the push-on filter adapter ring. Don't leave home without a lens hood ! Small size selenium light meter works great. 1169067395_RecIII.thumb.JPG.9ffa0490467f10eded74c789d2fa6c41.JPG I find my 6x9s require a medium weight tripod, since a lot of my work is done with 100asa (or lower) material @ 1/10 or so speeds. Enjoy, Bill