Super Coolscan 4000 ED

tim_eastman

<p>My 4000 ED gets used intermittently and has developed a yellowish cast to the scans. I tried many suggestions then decided to send it back to Nikon to get it fixed. The install / operation of this scanner has always been sketchy, with the Nikon Scan 3 crashing my computer and Nikon Scan 4 working better. When I get it back I want to increase the odds it will work right, so any suggestions would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Tim,<br>

Vuescan is the way to go. I have a 5000 ED and a 9000 ED with similar intermittent software issues. Nikon Scan crashes at odd times and the software is not very intuitive. Vuescan supports your scanner and has frequent updates, I definitely recommend it. And, of course, I am not related to the maker of Vuescan.<br>

Christoph</p>

<p>Nikon Scan 3 is rather old and not very good in my opinion. I had a Super Coolscan LS-4000 ED and it ran like a top for a long time with Nikon Scan 4. My LS-8000 works perfectly with it. I don't know where you had problems installing the software. What OS are you using? I run XP Professional and installation was absolutely painless, far better than NS 3 or especially NS 2 when I had an LS-2000. Getting the SCSI and software to work on the LS-2000 was a royal PITA (and I am not talking about the bread either :-) ). I never saw any of my LS-4000 scans develop a yellow cast to them, however, hope it is fixed!</p>