super 8 kodak ektachrome 160, type G, (G160).

hi,

I have a roll of super 8 kodak ektachrome 160, type G, (G160), which was shot

about 18 months ago. I now understand that this is quite a rare batch and am

having some diificlulty finding somewhere to process it. I live in Dublin,

Ireland. I have got two prices already in the region of 60 - 100 euro (50

dollars apx.), with a time scale of 2 months to process, so if anyone can help

me on this it would be much appreciated. I only have about 90 secs of footage!

Many thanks

Fionnuala

One of my favorite products! The inverted layer structure (green sensitive layer on top) enabled this film to produce incredible sharpness and fine grain. The colors were a bit muted. I helped design the process for this film and later was assigned responsibility for the film. It was not easy to manufacture.

Rocky Mountain Color Lab (http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/movie.htm) says they can process your film. This is a special service and their prices are high. You really have to want this film processed. Assuming this is the EM-26 version (it will say on the label) it was manufactured somewhere between 1981 and the early 90's (1992 I think). There was an earlier version that was manufactured between 1974 and 1981. Neither of these two films had very good keeping. IF the film was frozen it might produce decent images. Otherwise, the lab will need to work considerable magic.

Good luck!

• 5 months later...
If your film cartridge has the the phrase "process EM-26" on it, you can have your film processed by Yale Film and Video, 10555 Victory Blvd., North Hollywood, CA 91606 (1-800-955-9253 or 818-508-YALE). They recently processed 4 films for me at the price of $20 per film + 9.00 shipping. Another lab which was able to do this processing was Super 8 Sound, 2805 West Magnolia Blvd, Burbank, CA 91505 (818-848-5522), but they would have to send the film out and the price quote was over $500. If your G160 film does not have the phrase stated earlier, the only place I've found is Rocky Mountian Film Lab in Colorado. However, their price quote to me was $35 per film + $250 machine set up fee. During my search to find a processing lab, I did discover most of the places which provide this service do it on the last Wednesday of each month.... only. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Without a doubt the most knowlegeable person in this area would be Martin Baumgarten of PPS

Martin is THE man when it comes to super 8 processing. Plus he only charges $28 for EM-26 process. It may take a while but is without a doubt the best price and quality since all work is done by hand. No machines, hence no huge set up fees. Tell him James E from Portland Oregon sent you. I've got one right now also. Perhaps if we send all of our 160G in at once it will take less time to have processed as he needs to have a certain number of films to do to justify the time and great expense of mixing up EM-26 Chemestry. Which is very rare and in most cases must be hand made.<br>

http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/Super8mm.html<br>

P l a t t s b u r g h - P h o t o g r a p h i c - S e r v i c e s

Martin W. Baumgarten

18 Elm Street

Plattsburgh, New York 12901 U.S.A.

E-Mail: Super8mm@aol.com

Tel: (518) 561-6312<br>

Directly from his site:<br>

Processing Process EM-26 Type Films: (1983 to 1997)

Please allow 2 to 6 months for the following film types:

Ektachrome ELA 594 (Type A Sound)......$28.00 each [Process EM-26]

Ektachrome ELA 464 (Type A Silent).......$28.00 each [Process EM-26]

Ektachrome EG 464 (Type G Silent).........$28.00 each [Process EM-26]