Sunpak 383 on 350XT questions.

robert_thommes

Since I do not use flash very often, I've decided to hang on to my(never used)

Sunpak 383 instead of purchasing a good used Canon 380EX for use on my 350Xt.

I would like some direction as to how to use, and maximize the use of, the 383

flash on my camera. I have no instructions for this unit. So, if some of you

could lead me through this proceedure, I'd greatly appreciate your efforts.

Remember, I have not used a shoe-mounted flash before and, I only last week got

the Xt. Thanks

Some useful instructions here:

http://www.wireheadarts.com/blog40.html

You need to use the camera in M or Av mode. The basic idea is that you set the same aperture and ISO on the flash as you are using on the camera if you want a photo lit mostly by flash. If you want to tone down the flash so it is just providing some fill to lift shadows, then use a narrower aperture (and longer shutter speed if you want to maintain the light from other sources). If you are using the flash in one of its auto modes, you may need to use a wider aperture when bouncing or for more distant subjects: you can also increase effective flash range by boosting ISO. Provided the subject is in range (allowing for any bounce) and is of typical reflectance, the flash will automatically cut off to give the correct exposure in auto modes.

Using Av mode indoors can sometimes lead to very long exposure times, because exposure is set so that it is reasonable without flash. You will probably prefer to have full control over the lighting balance by using M mode on the camera. Indoor shots often look more pleasing if you bounce the flash off the ceiling provided it is white, perhaps with a small amount of light thrown forward using an index card as a reflector strapped to the flash head with a rubber band, and poking up a couple of inches.