Sunday Musings: specifications for a hypothetical M7.2

- Shutter from the M10-P, but with manual lever as usual

- 8 to 1/4000 sec shutter speeds in manual mode

- 30 sec or longer shutter speed in A mode

- 1/250 sec flash sync

- Electronic frame counter that can go to 9,999 exposures, resettable

- Complementary silent motor winder with detachable grip

- Digital multi segment metering (meter module at base of lens mount pointing at shutter curtains)

Thoughts?

As a film camera the M6 and M7 camera are nearly perfect. That said, yesterday I went out to a local state park (too many people there for me) and I had the Visoflex 020 on the M10 so I was both using the EVF and the rangefinder. For 90mm I was kind of amazed at how much I actually liked the EVF (at least as an alternative). I almost wish there was some way to have something like that even in a film camera, not only for telephotos, but also close up work or non rangefinder coupled lenses. But then it would limit the longevity of the M7 so it's not really practical.

With the Ms, there is both the tendency to try to improve their ergonomics and the NEED to stay with what makes it great. That kind of causes it to remain pretty much static. I mean being able to put the card in the side of the camera would be great (but it won't happen right?). Electric drive with pull to position and then having it auto load would be great but again, it wouldn't be an M right? Even making a film camera these days is pretty risky.

• 3 weeks later...

I did suggest to Leica that the RF cam should relay distance information to the camera, particularly for flash use, but so far I don't think they want to do that.

I don't think that anyone really wants a P mode on an M camera. I don't like P mode at all for any reason, although you could argue that phone cameras kind of have it. But I use an app to control shutter and ISO when I need to.

• Like 1

Yeah great Karim, would you buy one? The ttl flash for the M7 doesn't require it,

Having a distance function in the camera is partly why Nikon's on-camera flash system is so good. They didn't make D lenses for nothing. I don't even use flash, but for those who do, I want them to have a system as good as it can be. Of course you would have to manually select your working aperture from the lens to the flash unit, but so what? It's a legacy system, that's how we like it.

"It's a legacy system, that's how we like it."

Exactly. I'm not against innovation at all, but you want to pack a lot of features in small camera that also has to accommodate film cannisters and the film itself. A Leica M film camera is not going to have every feature you would like and still be a small camera. If you buy into the Leica mystique of a small camera with a cloth shutter, you are probably not going to have a speed of 1/4000. For instance putting another electronic unit tied to the RF cam, where would you put it? Is it going to impinge on the range finder unit? You could make a larger camera I suppose. But that defeats another purpose. So not sure what you really expect to happen beyond a discussion of vapor ware features. If you want all that stuff, then get a Nikon F4, 5 or 6.

If its quieter and better, would be good. But its all moot to me, I'm not buying a new film camera, I have all I need and I'm not even using them, and spending that kind of money for any new Leica is something I have no interest, not even for one of their digitals. I really like my Fuji for now. It seems like it kind of fulfills some of your wishes only digital. Stick a manual focus Leica M lens (pre-asph sum microns) on it and its doesn't feel that different to me when using it from my M7, yet the shutter is quiet and can be totally silent if you want to use just the pure electronic shutter. Plus you have quality Fujinon glass if you want auto focus and they work quite well. But that's another topic. As you seem to know a lot about current Leica cameras, what are your thoughts on the SL2?

- Shutter from the M10-P, but with manual lever as usual

- 8 to 1/4000 sec shutter speeds in manual mode

- 30 sec or longer shutter speed in A mode

- 1/250 sec flash sync

- Electronic frame counter that can go to 9,999 exposures, resettable

- Complementary silent motor winder with detachable grip

- Digital multi segment metering (meter module at base of lens mount pointing at shutter curtains)

Thoughts?

Sounds suspiciously like a modified M10-P. This can't be a film camera (with 9,999 exposures), so why the M7.2 designation?

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...” 

– Yogi Berra

As you seem to know a lot about current Leica cameras, what are your thoughts on the SL2?

It's expensive. :-P But no, seriously, I love it. Like Panasonic, they made an intelligent choice to not use PDAF, because they aren't selling it as a sports camera. It's intended to shoot a wide variety of subjects, excluding a few niches, and so CDAF makes more sense. I trust Leica when they say that sliding apertures on their zooms allow for better image quality, even though I don't like the idea. I can always buy Sigma or Panasonic anyway if I want a constant aperture zoom. They got the design right, after the partial failure of the original. But, the old SL is so good that I considered buying one, before realising that I kind of really like smaller sensors more. Still, for using vintage lenses I would prefer the SL or SL2 to anything else, save maybe the Panasonic S5. Having said that, APS-C is my favourite for vintage lenses for obvious reasons.

Sounds suspiciously like a modified M10-P. This can't be a film camera (with 9,999 exposures), so why the M7.2 designation?

Some people want to know how many exposures they took. It's a fairly accurate guide as to how many frames of film you've taken. Actually there should be two counters - one for the roll and one for the total, which should go up to maybe 10M.

... Some people want to know how many exposures they took. It's a fairly accurate guide as to how many frames of film you've taken. Actually there should be two counters - one for the roll and one for the total, which should go up to maybe 10M.
Film M cameras can be CLD'd and made to work like new or better than new - and a CLA can last 20-years or more. In fact they get smoother with use. This is not the case with a digital camera.

So if a camera has had 1000 rolls of film (or 36,000 frames) run through it, with a fresh CLA why should it matter?

But maybe that's just me. ...

Edited by Bill Blackwell Images

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...” 

– Yogi Berra

It's expensive. :p But no, seriously, I love it. Like Panasonic, they made an intelligent choice to not use PDAF, because they aren't selling it as a sports camera. It's intended to shoot a wide variety of subjects, excluding a few niches, and so CDAF makes more sense. I trust Leica when they say that sliding apertures on their zooms allow for better image quality, even though I don't like the idea. I can always buy Sigma or Panasonic anyway if I want a constant aperture zoom. They got the design right, after the partial failure of the original. But, the old SL is so good that I considered buying one, before realising that I kind of really like smaller sensors more. Still, for using vintage lenses I would prefer the SL or SL2 to anything else, save maybe the Panasonic S5. Having said that, APS-C is my favourite for vintage lenses for obvious reasons.

Have you used one Karim? Pretty pricey.

The SL is a nice body usually at a reasonable price. The trouble with everything Leica is the price of the lenses, M or R.

True. However, I would be very happy to use a variety of cheaper SLR lenses with it. That's what I currently do with the Sony bodies I have. I haven't done this with the Olympus yet.