Summitar question #2

teneson

<p>Has any other lens manufacturer ever made a lens based on the 50mm Summitar?<br>

I know that Voigtlander made the 35mm color skopar pII based on the 35mm Summaron.<br>

It's just that all the 50mm Summitars that I've been looking at have recognizable wear marks in the glass. I think for me, I'd rather find something in new condition. Wish me luck :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are Summitars out there in mint condition, they are just hard to find. You either have to pay generously (say at Kevin Cameras), or you have to be lucky.<br>

Nobody would make a new lens with the low contrast and aberrations (at wide aperture) of the Summitar today. But it is a lovely lens on it's own terms.</p>

<p>I'm not aware of any myself either and I agree with John - a lovely lens. Besides the glass, watch out for sticky/gummy aperture rings which can be cleaned and re-lubed easy enough.<br /> <br /> Best of luck finding a nice example (coated or uncoated).</p>

<p>The only other issue to look for besides coating/scratches is separation of the front elements. The two foremost elements are glued together, and in time this glue can discolor along the edges of the elements. It will look it a slight darkish fog. In extreme cases this fog extends quite far across the lens.<br>

There are actually many nice Summitars out there, but you have to look at them carefully. I would avoid buying one off the internet as I find seller's descriptions of these lens to be quite "optimistic".</p>

<p>Since the Summitar is a Gauss design (as is the excellent Summaron) with a split front element, there are many similar lenses with similar optical characteristics out there. I used the uncoated Summitar for many years, but the lack of contrast wide open convinced me to get a coated Summicron. Eventually, due to poorer eyesight, I went to an AF (Nikon) camera and sold most of my Leica equipment. I still keep my IIIf for nostalgia reasons though it isn't used anymore.</p>

<p>As others have said or implied, your best option is to find a good Summitar. What you perceive as its qualities have been regarded as faults since the Summicron came out. You should bear in mind that the collapsible Summicron shares some of the characteristics of the Summitar: but here again, finding a good one may not be easy.</p>