Summicron f/2 50 BP "possibly" repainted?

luigi v

I'm thinking to buy a Summicron 2/50 Black Paint but the seller is advertising it as

"possibly" repainted and he/she cannot give me a definitive answer about it...He/she sent

me some very high definition pics by email that I will try and submit on this forum

tomorrow, and/or I can send them to someone interested in having a look at them in order

to possibly advice me on the matter...It would be great if someone who has got one of this

lenses can come forward so that he could compare it to his own one...Also, what price

range should I consider to pay either ways (authentic BP/repainted?).

The lens is a 1962 production batch serial 1962XXX

near mint, tiny nick to left of red dot, 1/2mm scratch on focus ring between red dot and

'LENS', minor rubbing to top of focus ring.

No box with front cap and Leitz plastic container.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

It looks repainted. There are many black marks/smudges on the white and red letters. These black marks would not be present on a new lens or on a used BP lens, as the black paint doesn't come off like a liquid. The paint must have come from somewhere. As a previous poster suggested, it's probably spray paint. Or even a sloppy hand painted job.

I'm not Sherlock Holmes, but if you look at some of the white lettering, near the red letters, you will see some minute spots of red paint on the white lettering. This is possibly due to spraying red paint. I could be wrong, but it looks like a very sloppy paint job.

It looks as if the painter first painted/sprayed the lens white (on the white letters), and then painted/sprayed red (on the red letters, which is why there is some red paint on the white letters), and then hand painted it black.

Hello again Luigi!

Just what I meant, the painting is not at all that thick, especially not at that area and at the focussing arm. But I was wrong about the ser.#, I copied yours by misstake, mine is 19546XX and I have all reason to think it`s real as I bought mine in an era when there was plenty of them here in Sweden and no reason to fake any.

Jan-Olof