Summaron 35 3.5 brings up 50 framelines?

jim_jeblee

I got a 35mm 3.5 Summaron at auction in a large pile of Leica stuff.

This lens has some haze, I'm testing it now & may send it for

cleaning if I keep it, 3.5 is a little slow. But when I mount it on

my M2 or M6 it brings up the 50mm framelines, this lens has NO

goggles. I thought I read somewhere that some of these were made this

way? It looks like it could be modified to bring up the 35 lines, any

problem w/ this? And what hood does this lense use? Oh, it's a

1177xxx range lens. Thanks for all your help! Jim

Certainly this lens was made in a version for the M2. But such a lens should bring up 35mm framelines on any M Leica.

I'd be concerned that you may have bought a goggled version with the goggles removed. Why else would it bring up 50mm framelines? Any empty screw holes on the back?

Check the focusing. Set the camera 6 feet (or two meters, as appropriate) from some object to focus on. Focus the lens using the rangefinder. Does the distance scale read the right distance? If not, you have a de-goggled lens, which is only useful for scale focusing.

Another possibility is that it's a LTM version with the 50mm M-adapter. But that should be rather obvious, but we all miss the obvious sometimes.

The original m-mount Summaron was made for the M3 (M2's were not yet available) and brought up the 50mm frame. It was intended for use with the SBLOO finder. The bayonet can probably be modified to bring up the 35 framelines. I filed the mount on my 40/2 Summicron-C to bring up the 35 frame on my M4-2.

It should respond to the same modification as the 40 Summicron needs in order to bring up the 35 frame. Just a few strokes with a file on the end of the bayonet lug that pushes against the frame selector lever. You can't go "too far" with your filing and hurt anything. The 35 frame is the default position when nothing is pressing on the selector.

Jim, I have the same lens and experienced just what you are going through. I took Al's advice and filed off just the slightest amount from one of the cams and it brings up the 35 frames. I had mine cleaned and now it is one of my favorite lenses. I have had the first (now very expensive!) Summicrons and sold them years ago and now can't justify the prices to buy another. This lens (the Summaron) is as sharp as the others. I do not mind the f/3.5. Al can best describe the filing procedure, but it is very simple. Just cover everything up with tape so no filings get where you don't want them..Robbie

Thanks a lot everyone. It looks like the same setup as Robbie talked about. No indication that it ever had goggles or that it has a screwmount (focal dist marks go right up to the edge of lens). So I'll get it cleaned & setup for 35mm frame lines & shoot it a while to see how I like the results. Thanks Jim.

I have such a lens too. Its very nice to my way of thinking and as I use it with an M3, which is what it was designed for, and which in any event does not have 35mm famelines I am more than happy to use a supplementary finder.

Its a lovely little lens