Suggestions on Color film

<p>Hi everyone. <br>

I've never shot color film, always b&w.<br>

I want to try it. Today I was watching this<br>

<p>That's a Jeff Mermelstein's interview and I was stricken by his photographs.<br>

The look of his photographs is what I want to have. <br>

Which color film should I use to have that look?<br>

Thanks everyone</p>

<p>The colors I saw were flat, but that can be attributed to the video quality more than the film. I believe you may have been more interested in the subjects than the film used, the rule of GIGO is one to take to heart if you have Garbage in you get Garbage Out. If you shoot a poor quality photo that is boring, the best film and camera in the world will not make it good. <br /> I am attaching one shot of a high saturated color photo shot with Agfa Ultra 50 shot at ISO 25.</p><div>00Zb6y-415107584.jpg.611df0880869a9788849a3e92b48cbbd.jpg</div>

<p>Those photos shot in the second link you gave are from the 1970s at the latest. Meaning, those films are long gone. Kodak did a major revamp of their film lines in the late 80s (T-Grain and whatnot) and Fuji has been dong the same.<br>

So, as far as getting film to get that "look", it's not going to happen.</p>

<p>Besides, looking at the photos, I'd think shooting with any color film will do. He's not doing anything special in terms of exposure or colors. They're straight shots.<br>

And looking at the shadows, he shot at different times of the day - he didn't seem to have a preference for time or for light other than bright sunny day.<br>

Go to your local store and get any consumer color print film and go form there. I would also try different brands and don't fall in love with any particular brand or film: who knows what will still be available in the next year, especially lines from Kodak*.</p>

<p><em>*I have been watching the news wires on the finance sites and the news just keeps getting worse for Kodak.</em></p>

"Which color film should I use to have that look?"

Asked more and more often. The best answer I can come up with (and I am thinking not only of this discussion, but others especially the last three years) is, although some films have been made for high saturation, others for dead neutral, others for skin tones, generally speaking it depends on the color and materials in the photograph, the lenses, and especially the photographer's use of light (and lighting).

The colors in the urban world (not nature) change over time. One can expect in a certain timeframe, the color of nail polish, women's shoes, and automobiles to come out of the same vat. The materials change and show color differently, too. One cannot expect to get a "look" by simply using a film unless the color and materials already have it.

• 2 weeks later...