Suggestions for Grand Canyon photography

josh_standon

LOL. Walk out onto the new platform and point down! I have to tell you - that might make me nervous.

Seriously, look for threads of the river which come alive with the right lighting. Take the bus ride but hop off and walk the trail for a while. There are excellent viewpoints along the way and excellent "trail" shots. Watch for trees as a foreground element. Just sort of relax and enjoy it.

I like other places better to photograph but there's nothing like the Grand Canyon for atmosphere. Stay local if you can, eat, drink, have fun. Go to the astronomy talk in the evening.

Depending on your available time (and the local weather conditions), I would highly recommend taking one of the day hikes into the upper levels of the Canyon.<br>The view from the rim is awesome, but going down a couple of hundred feet opens up a whole new perspective. Cedar Ridge is part of the South Kaibab Trail. <a href="http://www.grandcanyon.org/fieldinstitute/planning_trails.asp"> More info here...</a><div>00KWmJ-35727084.jpg.b4fc74bfe479108eb77cb54fc5a76123.jpg</div>

The north rim won't be open yet, so the south rim is your only choice. The NPS website for the canyon has links to good maps of the south rim - plan to move all along the rim, and like the man said, early and late in the day for best light to bring out the definition in the canyon topography. If you have time and care for the hike, going down into the canyon is a one-of-a-kind experience. If you don't have the time or care for the complete hike, try to get down the Bright Angel Trail somewhat - you'll find a different perspective than from the rim and will find views that aren't the well known shots.

The south rim is at about 7000 feet and can still get pretty cool in April. But it'll be 20-30 degrees warmer at the bottom of the canyon.

A novel new option - the Hualapai Indian tribe will open their new Skywalk to the public tomorrow. It's a glass-bottomed walkway that extends into free air above the canyon. It's an unfinished attraction, located at the end of lengthy gravel road, with no visitor center-type facilities. (Take whatever food you want with you.) The Skywalk is at the western end of the canyon, south side. Local news is telling us that it's $25 per person.

First, take a polarizing Filter with you... I use both a UV to protect the lens, and then a Polarizer. A 18-135mm Zoom,is great for the Canyon. Brought a 70-300mm for long shots of Individual Peaks in the canyon. For me, a Monopod is a must. Used an ISP 100 most of the day on my D200...

With a Monopod, if you get one taller than you, can almost create a Tripod. Plant your two feet securely, stick the Monopod out in front of you like the third leg, and lean forward. You can get a real rock steady support, with a ball head, get exact framing, and lock. For slight adjustments move L/R, Forward or Back... Zoom to frame, adjust Polarizer, etc...

With digital, shoot, shoot, shoot, sometimes without moving from the same spot, took 25+ views, changing zoom, settings, etc... Brought 2 4gb Compact Flash cards, filled them in one day, and was working on my first 2gb....

A friend of mine worked for National Geographic, I asked him how they got such great pictures. He said, "On a trip to Japan, I took 60,000 slides, they chose pictures for eight pages from them. With digital, in one year you can save more money then it cost for the camera...

Why anyone would not purchase a digital camera has always been a puzzle to me. Even if you still prefer film, shoot digital to gain a lot of experience or to learn, and then use film for whatever you desire. With digital a person can learn in a month of shooting daily, what could take them a year with film. You see the results instantly, can modify or change what you want and shoot again. With setting recorded along with the image, you can go back and see what needs to be changed, etc...

<b>What to Photograph?</b><p>

Everything. Start with the Canyons themselves at Sunrise, this means a room at the Canyon or in the Village, unless you want to get up very early. We stayed in our RV, in the campground, and set the alarm.<p>

People viewing the Canyons, get their expressions.<p>

Get in close, shoot individual cliffs, and trees. The bark on the trees, show the grain on old weatherbeaten tree trunks, branches, insects, animals, etc... and anything else that you see... <p>

Hike into the Canyon and/or take the Helicopter flight from Grand Canyon Airport. If the later, get the front seat for better pictures. Make sure to have your camera out of the case, and a zoom lens on it. Tell reservations you are a photographer, and will give them copies they can use for advertising. Make it obvious you are most qualified to take the best pictures. Tell the pilot you play to send copies attached to email of your best photos. Then you are more likely to get the front seat. Then, send them, so the next person will have a chance to do the same.<p>

LOOK for the River, it is not possible to see in many places, it is in others, sometimes long stretches of it. But, many miss it as there is not always a reflection, and the color is similar to surroundings. Watch for it especially at Desert Center viewing area, and Mather's Point.<p>

I'd like to second JD's suggestion for the Shoshone Point. It's a transfiguring location.

1. It's relatively easy to hike there - about one mile off of the road on an almost flat dirt road.

2. It's not likely that anyone else will be there, particularly if you go at sunrise. It's not marked on the typical tourist maps. But, if you have a hiking guide to the GC or ask any ranger, they'll be able to tell you how to get there.

3. As I've been told, this is the location where GCNP staff go to have their weddings - it's so scenic & private.

4. One of my favorite experiences in life with my older son was there. We'd had a long, rough hike a couple of days before (for an 8-yr old, at that time). He was resistant to hiking to Shoshone Point - whining, dragging his feet, etc. When we arrived near the rim, he just wanted to sit at the picnic tables there. I coaxed him to come out with me - and his mood changed so quickly (and, wonderfully)! We had a great hour there, and then he practically skipped back to the car. ;)

I have some files on my computer if you're interested in directions/maps/etc; if you're interested, just email me. Also, here's my link to one of my favorite shots from Shoshone:

http://www.timmulholland.com/places/arizona/shoshonesunrise.html

Enjoy,

Tim!

Tim@TimMulholland.com

Thanks again for the replies to my inquiry.

I am staying in the Canyon at one of the motel like places about 1/4 mile from the rim.

I enjoy hiking, but I doubt if I will get to the bottom of the Canyon on this trip. It is more likely I will hike down about 1000 feet in elevation, photographing all the way down, and then hike back up, again photographing all the way. The light should be changing, of course, and one sees different things going in opposite directions.

Of course, I will also walk about the rim enjoying the various views.

I will be bringing three cameras: a very small 6 meg P&S, my 8 megapixel wonder camera that simulates a DSLR in everything but lens interchangability and focusing speed, and a D200 with a 80-400 VR lens attached.

I'll use the D200/80-400 combo mostly along the rim as it is a very heavy combo and I don't relish lugging it down and then UP the trails into the Canyon. I have a nice small, but useful tripod to use with it.

The 8 megapixel wonder camera is light weight, offers full manual control, shoots RAW files, takes filters and has IS. It's non removable lens gets me from 28mm to 200mm, a nice range. And it is very light so carrying it should not be a problem.

Now, all I need is an attractive, middle aged, female assistant to keep me company and suggest photo opportunities.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

<blockquote>

<p>For those who may plan trips in the future....<br>

Use All suggestions above.<br>

Make sure to go to Yavaipi Point if its the only place you have time to visit. Then to Mather Point.<br>

<br /> Take the Bus (free) to Hermet Point with many viewpoints on the route. You can get off at any of them and catch the next bus. The bus in the opposite direction goes to Yaki Point. As both of these routes are limited to BUS service only and cars are not allowed there are different photos than tose most commonly seen from the first two locations. <br /> Many think we don't need a Polarized filter for digital camera's or if using Photoshop for post processing. But make sure to use one. Haze can almost totally obscure features at times and it throws the colors way of reality. Personally I also use a UV filter. The difference in originals is well worth the loss of speed. <br /><br />USE A TRIPOD, millions of photos are shot without them, and it is evident. You can use slower speeds, shoot time lapse sequences, use smaller lens opening. The distance varies across the Canyons from a few miles to 18 miles. In my opinion the most dramatic photos are those where you do not attempt to capture it all. Zoom in on the most dramatic peaks, canyons, trees, animals in addition to panoramic photos. If you shoot for panoramic images start with VERTICAL images and stitch them for more impressive panoramic. <br /><br />Ive seen suggestions in various messages about going to the Canyon and Monument Valley or Sedona, etc... For the best trip, spend as much time as possible in the canyon. Since 1970, Ive been going there FOUR times or more a year. When I retired in 1995, moved to Arizona so could spend more time in the state. Still go to the Canyon more than 4 times a year, and still find new images and now over 80 dont think Ill ever have enough time to capture all I want...</p>

</blockquote>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Im also gonna be heading to the Grand Canyon in the next few weeks. I was needing help as well with lens suggestions. I currently have a D200 and the 50mm 1.8 as my only lens. Im on a budget however and can only spend a couple hundred dollars on a lens. Currently Im looking at the 18-55mm DX or the 28-200mm G. Can anyone help me out and let me know if these are good for the scope of the Grand Canyon and the budget I have?</p>