Suggestions for a vintage 58mm lens hood?

funkag

I like to use metal screw-in hoods with my lenses - they make it easier to use polarizers and are less likely to get broken (in my hands...) than modern plastic bayonet hoods. I have a number of o.e.m. hoods for my Nikon lenses, but I'm having trouble finding a 58mm hood for my modern Tamron macro lens. There are lots of Chinese-made aluminum hoods out there, but the problem I'm running into is that they will only accept a lens cap on the end of the hood instead of inside of the hood where it is protected from getting knocked off.

Does anyone have suggestions for any 58mm hoods that might work? I've found one for Pentax's screwmount 85mm f1.8, but it is priced about on par with the lens itself. Tamron also made one for some of its 70-210 lenses, but it is made from plastic and I'd prefer metal. THANKS!!

What’s wrong with reversing the bayonet hood onto the lens for storage, like it’s supposed to be used, and fitting the lens cap directly into the thread of the lens or filter?

Burying the cap deep inside a hood as you’re suggesting, makes removing and fitting the cap a very fiddly job. With the risk of scratching the lens during fitting or removal to boot.

Nikon’s clip on metal hoods were all made reversible for storage. Unfortunately 58 mm wasn’t one of Nikon’s preferred sizes. Maybe Canon made a similar design in that size?

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

This might sound immoral, but if your camera is a "worker", not on static display, I would go for the double threaded, collapsible, rubber lens hoods. If contact is made with the hood, a very limited amount of force is transferred to the outer lens barrel. I use them on all of my vintage & modern cameras. 2075270732_Fed-2Jupiter-8.JPG.a884c4c22fc13759368cc12435d843bc.JPG Ton's of models & vendors out there. Aloha, Bill
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion Bill - I've used rubber hoods in the past but was hoping to find something more solid this time around - I'm going to try a plastic tamron hood from B&H (used for $7) and see how that works out. If that doesn't work, a rubber hood will probably be next on the list. It looks like Pentax made two 58mm hoods for their Super Taks - one for the 85mm f1.8, which would be perfect if it wasn't so expensive, and one for their 135 and 200mm lenses, which I'm afraid may cause vignetting.

Rodeo Joe - it looks like Canon has used bayonet lenses for quite a while, at least as far back as the original FD lenses. In the conditions where I shoot, anything that isn't screwed on or protected (bayonet hoods, lens caps) tends to get lost in the woods...

I forget who, but someone makes a combination hood (tulip type) with a bayonet mount that uses a screw thread adapter (included) Would simply bonding the adapter to the hood, effectively making it an aligned screw in solve your problem?

I use LensCoat hoodie lens caps on a trio of Olympus M43 primes with metal hoods and have not taken the original lens caps out of the draw they were stored in 5 years ago. The are very convenient to use in the field and provide good protection.

Hoodie Lens Caps - LensCoatTM HoodieTM X Small LensCoat

Available at B&H, Amazon (etc). Not a fan of rubber lens hoods for purely aesthetic reasons and only use the OEM bayonet plastic/reversible hoods or metal hoods.

"Not a fan of rubber lens hoods for purely aesthetic reasons....."

And yet Neoprene is OK!? That seems a bit "rubberist" to me.

I must admit to not liking rubber hoods either, but for the reason that most of them don't actually provide adequate shade to the lens.

How about a Nikon HN 23 lens hood?

Although its has a diameter of 62mm, that should be no issue using a 58 to 62 mm step up ring on your lens

Don't know the diameter of the front size of the HN23, but no doubt you can find a lens cap of the right size just as easiy

The HN23 is about US $ 30, a step up ring costs 99 cents on eBay, and a lens cap around US $7 on Amazon

"And yet Neoprene is OK!? That seems a bit "rubberist" to me."

Perhaps you are right, but the neoprene stays in my pocket once the lens is mounted and the camera is out of the bag. The Oly 12mm and 17mm are pains because the hoods are attached via a set screw and not a bayonet, so the neoprene really is convenient instead of un-tightening the set pin, reversing the hood, re-tightening the set pin, and attaching a lens cap.

What fits what may depend a little on what cap you're using. Nikon caps have always fit a slightly smaller diameter than other caps, so as to allow them to snap inside a lens hood even though the diameter is a little less than that of the lens itself. A 62 mm. HN-23 will accept a Nikon 62 mm. cap securely. The newer style caps are quite easy to reach inside such a hood. The old ones with side buttons will fit but are hard to use. Similarly, an HN-3, which I used for years as the hood on my 18-55DX kit lens, or an HN-1, which I use with the 35 mm PC lens, will accept the standard 52 mm. cap. Even though this is no longer an issue with bayonet hoods, the caps are still made with that extra tolerance.

Caps from other manufacturers, even those that look identical, will usually not fit, but ever since the long ago time when Nikon lenses used reversible snap on hoods, the caps have been designed to fit both lens and hood, and solid thread on hoods always have a flat, grooved inner surface at the lens end that retains a cap.