Suggestions for a second-hand Minolta AF body?

victor_hooi

Hi,

The zoom-ring on my father's consumer Sigma lens for his Pentax

buggered up, so then I dug up his old AE-1 to use. Then, somehow or

other, the viewfinder get's all blackened. Doesn't affect the shot

(SLR, afterall), but annoying to focus and compose. Ayway, to cut a

long story short, I'm in the market for a reasonably cheap, well-built

second hand AF body. I noticed that my orthodontist has an old 7000 AF

(he recently acquired a 300D), as well as a Tamron 90mm SP, and

Minolta 50 mm 1.7, and thought I'd get that. However, I also had a

look at some other Minolta bodies, since the 7000 is pretty old, and

I've heard the AF speed is poor (haven't tried myself, though) and it

*is* kinda ancient. So far, I've looked at (specs, not held them) the

7xi, 700si, and 800si.

I'm a beginner/amateur, and I'm pretty cheapskate (*grin). Also, I

noticed that the 7000 and 7xi don't have depth-of-field preview - is

there any other way to achieve the same effect? Also, on ebay, there

seems to be a dearth of 7xi bodies, but not many 700si, and very

little 800si - should I read something into this?

I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions, and thanks in advance

bye,

Victor

NB: This is probably sacrilege on a Minolta forum =), but how does the

Canon A2 compare to these? (as in, which body is it comparable to in

terms of features, build quality, mechanics etc.)

You can't achieve DOF preview if the body doesn't have it.

<p>

AF on the 7000 is indeed very slow by today's standards, and it only has one central line sensor, which makes it miss focus quite often.

<p>

You probably see fewer 700si and 800si on eBay because the owners hold on to them. They are still very capable cameras. Also see if a 600si is offered. The 600si has a different classic user interface design which you may like better than the computerized user interface of the other cameras.

Although I am addicted to Minolta myself, the Canon AE-1 is not a bad camera. Plus, to you, it *is* cheap. Have you tried turning off the "depth of field preview" mode? Maybe that would explain why the finder is so dark.

<a href="http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm">http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm</a>

Best of luck.

Otherwise, a 500si/505si in like-new shape should cost next to nothing. You can always buy a bigger one later and keep that as a backup. (Or even a digital one some day...)

HTH.

You can get a brand new Maxxum 5 now for about $100. IMHO that's a better deal than anything you might be able to pick up used. </p>

Also see these recent threads that are related to yoru question:</p>

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0097fl</p>

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009Vka</p>

<i>You can't achieve DOF preview if the body doesn't have it.</i></p>

That's true for the Minolta AF system, and as such Michaels answer is correct. However, for it's manual focus system Minolta used to make lenses that had a built in stop down lever. With these lenses you get DOF preview even on bodies that don't offer this feature. These lenses are typically of the pre-MC and early MC era; that is ca. 1958-1972.

Well, how much do you want to sink into this second hand purchase? The thing is, Minolta film gear is outrageously cheap even when sold new, so buying new might be actually better option. Maxxum 5 is $150 (or so), Maxxum 7 is $370 (at Tristate camera).

If you insist on buying older body, 800si, 700si or 600si is good choice. 600si has classic knobby interface that has lots of fans, 700si and 800si are push-this-rotate-that kind.

The DOF function is difficcult to fake. I am not sure if it works with AF Minoltas (I think it does not) but on MF bodies, you can unlock the lens and rotate until the diapraghm stops down. But it's hardly a substitute for real DOF preview button.

hey,

Thanks a lot for the great replies guys, gives me quite a lot of stuff to mull over. Either way, I'll definitely try to get the Tamron 90mm and Minolta 50, and maybe the 7000 as a backup body (since it'll probably be really cheap)

Anyway, so you guys think I'll be better off getting new equipment? (I just thought that I'd be able to pick up old, well-built, non-plasticky equipment cheaper). Also, is the 7000 really *that* bad?

How does the Maxxum 70 compare to the 5? (Is the 70 better?) Also, Georg mentioned in the other thread (http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0097fl) that the 7xi isn't that good. (I know one guys who's selling one, should I get?) What are the key diffs. I should watch out for between 7000/7xi/700si/600si etc. (build quality, 'killer' features, AF speed etc.)

Thanks a lot, and I appreciate you guys takingtime out to reply

Victor

if your looking for a solid non-plasticky camera, then the max5 and other low cost bodies are not for you. The 800si is an excellent heavy solid professional spec camera and hugely better than the max5 unless you value light weight and short lifespan. The 9xi is excellent too and the max7 is better than all of them. The 9xi needs cards for some operations though which is a bit of a nuisance. You are right though that the older cameras are a much better buy. I've got all of the above and would replace the 800si before the others if stolen (always my test for value)

I flirted with the idea of geting a 600si before I decided to stay with manual Minoltas. Give it a look -- with its easy user interface, it is essentially the base Minolta kept in mind when designing the 7.

That said, the 7 was top of the line when it came out, and a far sight more expensive than $340. Get a new 7! New cameras don't come much better built.

Hi,

Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably end up getting either a Maxxum 5 or Maxxum 70 (Dynax 60) from Tristate. What are the major differences between these two, and which would you yourself prefer? (so far, I know the 70 doesn't have eyestart, has slower shutter and x-sync, but is apparently built better)

How reputable is Tristate, and has anybody ever ordered international from them?

Also, does anybody know where I might be able to pick up a Minolta AF 50mm D lense cheaply? (Is the Distance Feature actually worth getting, and what sort of price would I be looking at used?

Finally, are there any competitive offbrand flashes that support HSS, D (Distance Info from Lenses), Wireless etc. ? (cheap, of course *grin*)

Thanks,

Victor

NB: Sorry, one last one, I promise - how does the 600si compare to the 70? Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought two of the original Maxxum 7000 bodies when they came out in, I think, 1985, and four prime lenses. I still have the bodies and they work perfectly. I also have a Maxxum 7 body, vertical control grip, etc. I agree that the autofocus is a bit slower on the 7000 than on the 7 (although I perceived it as blindingly fast in 1985), but I'm still running around with a 135mm 2.8 on the 7 and a 24mm on the 7000. Happy as a clam. Unless you can find a 7000 body dirt cheap, the $99.95 newer iteration, brand new, is no doubt the way to go.