Suggestions for 6x9 view camera

Discussion in 'Large Format' started by bobmorinphoto, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Hello all. I shoot mainly digital nowadays but miss working with film and a view camera in particular. I often miss having a rising front for architectural shots. Right now it's best for me to work with roll rather than sheet film and I can scan up to 6x9 so a 6x9 view/field camera seems like the best choice. Tried a Crown Graphic 23 but it's hard to remove the ground glass without moving the camera. I'd prefer a field camera but will tote a view camera if that's what it takes. Price is a consideration. Any comments on using Graflok backs on Toyo, Cambo, Horseman, Sinar etc? I just need to get vert and horiz shots and quick switch without knocking everything out of kilter.
    Thanks!

2. Galvin or Cambo

3. Maybe a little on the expensive side, but a 6x9 Linhof Technika III or IV fits the bill perfectly, also has back movements plus 6x6 and 6x9 roll film backs.

4. Linhof TK23 or the later TK23S or any Linhof M679 camera or the Linhof Techno. The TK23S, M679cs and the Techno are all current models.

5. I'd suggest that you seriously consider a 4x5 with a roll film back. Easier to find a suitable model camera and probably cheaper to boot. 120 backs are easy to find new and you have the option of using sheet film in the future.

6. I have a Horseman VHR and use horseman and graflex roll film backs. I has rangefinder focusing as well as ground glass. The back can rotate horizontal to vertical and I use the same lenses and lensboards that I use on my 4x5 horseman FA camera. It is a good camera which can be handheld.

7. Arca Swiss F Line 6x9. Robust, versatile, fast to set up, sturdy, relatively light weight, Graflok back... just anything you might need in the future. With a recessed lens board you can even use a Rodenstock 4.5/35mm or 4.5/45mm lens. Not cheap, but will last forever.

8. With a Techno or M679 you can use lenses as short as 23mm. 28mm Rodenstock on the Techno with a flat board even!

9. A Silvestri for complications. A second-hand Corfield for simplicity. The older Cambo wide for practicality. I ditched the Cambo for the non-folding Ebony SW with a Fuji 6x12 back and an 80mm Super Symmar.
    Here's my Corfield...
    00YweL-373085584.jpg

10. a) I got a Calumet 4x5 from eBay -- inexpensive if you shop carefully.
    b) I put a Mamiya M-adapter plate from a press camera in place of the film holder. (Minor drilling and taping of threaded holes.)
    c) I got a Mamiya Press focus screen to attach to "b" to focus the image.
    d) I got a 6X9 Mamiya Press film holder with dark slide.
    All of the above can be had for reasonable prices as long as you shop carefully and don't necessarily grab the first item available.
    Now you can have all the full benefits of a view camera with the convenience of 120 roll film, plus the Mamiya equipment is more convenient than "standard roll film backs" (of which I have several.)
    Next, you can scan the images to up to 90 megapixels (depending on the film you use and the resolving power of your lens.) Want 3 or 4 foot wide prints? ... And at high resolution? The above will give you that!
    More information related to this will be found at my site:
    www.XrtremeDigitalPhotography.com
    See the various articles posted.