Suggestions for 6x9 view camera

bobmorinphoto

<p>Hello all. I shoot mainly digital nowadays but miss working with film and a view camera in particular. I often miss having a rising front for architectural shots. Right now it's best for me to work with roll rather than sheet film and I can scan up to 6x9 so a 6x9 view/field camera seems like the best choice. Tried a Crown Graphic 23 but it's hard to remove the ground glass without moving the camera. I'd prefer a field camera but will tote a view camera if that's what it takes. Price is a consideration. Any comments on using Graflok backs on Toyo, Cambo, Horseman, Sinar etc? I just need to get vert and horiz shots and quick switch without knocking everything out of kilter.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I have a Horseman VHR and use horseman and graflex roll film backs. I has rangefinder focusing as well as ground glass. The back can rotate horizontal to vertical and I use the same lenses and lensboards that I use on my 4x5 horseman FA camera. It is a good camera which can be handheld.</p>

<p>Arca Swiss F Line 6x9. Robust, versatile, fast to set up, sturdy, relatively light weight, Graflok back... just anything you might need in the future. With a recessed lens board you can even use a Rodenstock 4.5/35mm or 4.5/45mm lens. Not cheap, but will last forever.</p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.

<p>A Silvestri for complications. A second-hand Corfield for simplicity. The older Cambo wide for practicality. I ditched the Cambo for the non-folding Ebony SW with a Fuji 6x12 back and an 80mm Super Symmar. <br>

Here's my Corfield...</p><div>00YweL-373085584.thumb.jpg.88cf959adfab765000d174c091701bed.jpg</div>

<p>a) I got a Calumet 4x5 from eBay -- inexpensive if you shop carefully.<br>

b) I put a Mamiya M-adapter plate from a press camera in place of the film holder. (Minor drilling and taping of threaded holes.)<br>

c) I got a Mamiya Press focus screen to attach to "b" to focus the image.<br>

d) I got a 6X9 Mamiya Press film holder with dark slide.</p>

<p>All of the above can be had for reasonable prices as long as you shop carefully and don't necessarily grab the first item available.</p>

<p>Now you can have all the full benefits of a view camera with the convenience of 120 roll film, plus the Mamiya equipment is more convenient than "standard roll film backs" (of which I have several.)</p>

<p>Next, you can scan the images to up to 90 megapixels (depending on the film you use and the resolving power of your lens.) Want 3 or 4 foot wide prints? ... And at high resolution? The above will give you that!</p>

<p>More information related to this will be found at my site:<br>

<a href="http://www.XrtremeDigitalPhotography.com">www.XrtremeDigitalPhotography.com</a></p>

<p>See the various articles posted.</p>

<p> </p>