Suggestion: Canon XSi Lenses

wallie_c

Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing the Canon Digital Rebel XSi as my first SLR. I've been

doing a lot of reading around photography just after my recent vacation and I'm still

trying to get my head around the terminology and the different purposes of a lens.

I'm looking into photography workshops in the near future, so hopefully that'll help

=)

In the meantime though I'd like to get the camera in my hands and start shooting.

So I'm looking for some suggestions on which lenses to buy.

I'll be using the camera primarily for group pictures indoors and outdoors (family

outings/parties and recreation sports), I'd like to have the ability to take pictures

of city skylines and large buildings with more detail and sharpness when

necessary since I felt I missed out on a lot of good pictures while in Rome.

My bugdet is around $2500 - $3000 including the camera.

Should I start with buying 3 lenses? After reading many websites and forum

posts, it sounds like it's good to have a:

- prime

- wide lens

- tele

Any suggestions on that for a beginner like me?

I've read some good reviews on the following lenses and am wondering if there are

equivalents or better for the price range or if those would suit my needs:

Sigma 20mm f/1.8

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM Lens <=== is that considered a wide lens?

Thanks!

Wallie

Hi, If your just getting started just get 1 lens. I would suggest something in a mid-

range zoom ( somewhere from 17-85 range ) The reason is you should learn to use

the camera and what shooting style you favor before buying a wide range of lenses.

The XSi is a great camera and you can get the kit lens with it for not much more. I

would say the kit with a 430 EX or 580 EX2 flash with a few memory cards and

extra batter is a good place to start. Save some budget because you will end up

wanting more once you realize what you like to shoot and how you shoot it.

If you want to start off with a better lens then the kits here are some good choices.

on a budget ( under $500 )

Tamron 17-50 2.8

Tamron 28-75 2.8

Mid level ( $500-1000)

Canon 17-40 f4

Canon 17-55 2.8

High end L's over $1000

Canon 24-105 F4

Canon 24-70 2.8

Also consider some books like understanding exposure to learn about using the

camera to its potential.

With such a generous budget I'd buy the Canon 10-22mm for wide angle/landscape/cityscape shots and the Canon 17-55 IS as a normal day-to-day lens. These are some of the best lenses for your camera IMHO. Sounds like you won't need a telephoto too much - if you do, try the cheap 55-250 IS and see how you like it.

It's worth though spending a bit of time and learning about lens technologies and such - it will only help you make a decision and get the best out of your gear in the long term. http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html is a good place to start (albeit with a slightly outdated lens list)

not sure if you guys realize how fast 2500 will go...

800 for the camera

lets say 1000 for the 17-55 2.8

80 bucks for a 8gb extreme 3 sd (40 dollar rebate right now)

60 bucks for a hoya pro 1 clear filter

Not sure where you live but tax from free to 9 percent

a bag at around 50 (up or down depending on quality and needs)

now is where it gets tricky - I'd like the 85 1.8 since he already had the 17-55 covered at 2.8. another 400

Add 50 for hoods from canon (less if you want generic rubber hoods - great on the 85 but not going to work on wide end of the zoom)

I'd look into the tokina 11-16 2.8 as my wide - i've had it in my hands and it's sharper and better built and a stop faster and cost 130 less...

that would probably be my set up with that cash

Hi, <br/>

I do not want to sound like a party pooper, but why not get the XSI with the 18-55 IS Kit lens and learn to operate the camera and "learn the terminology" ... Having the budget does not mean to burn it at once, by learning at least the basics (his FIRST SLR) and some more I guess you will know what you need. <br/> For your question about the Sigma 30 HSM F1.4, it is about the FOV of a 50 mm normal lens on your XSI.<br/>

I fear you would buy lenses and sell them later, once you know what you really need or what fits your shooting style ...<br/>

My 2 cent,<br/>

André

I would get XSI with the kit 18 55 IS lens (maybe with 50/1.8II as a second lens), memory card(s), extra battery(ies) to start with. Save the extra $. Start to shoot and to learn photography in general.

You will have a better idea of what gear to go after by then.

Like Tommy said, just get a camera and one, basic walk around lens for now. As a newbie, you can't be sure what type of photography will interest you the most, that's what should determine your choice of lenses and accessories. Why run out and buy glass that you might not need or want later ? The suggestion of a mid focal length zoom is a good one along with a flash. Use the kit to take pictures and learn what you're doing (it'll take longer than you're thinking it will). Don't just buy a lot of gear in the beginning, the gear won't take your pictures for you, you need to learn to control the camera to make it do what you want. Keep things simple at first and have fun while you learn. Good luck.

you guys can honestly say that a lens like the 17-55 is something he won't want/need later? If anything the kit lenses and their inability to freeze action in low light are the most frustrating things things to "rookie" photogs. Having both the fast glass and the IS will be a major boon to any new photographer. This is why I pick this over the 17-85 which is a bit slow. The 17-55 is the "normal" zoom which will open up lots of photographic possibilities to the shooter that would normally be closed...

Dear Joseph (and Wally of course), a lens like the 17-55 is needed for the fact that it's a great general purpose lens. But it doesn't have to be exactly the 17-55. There are reasons for picking other lenses and these reasons must be figured out on a personal base. Wally is new to DSLR so he cannot know his wishes yet.

If you just want to take sharp pictures, don't mind the size and weight and have the money to spare by all means a person should buy the 17-55.

However if you value lightweight and don't mind the lesser IQ the IS kitlens would be a better choice. (Hiker?)

If you want to take pictures of moving subjects indoors you might want to consider a f1.4 prime. (A family man living in a cold place.)

And if you are like me, an amateur who just likes shooting pictures, (though still not 100% decided) you might want to go with the 17-40.

I've compared literaly thousands of pictures on pbase and this is the reason why I might prefer the 17-40:

17-40 pictures to me are smooth, luxurious, glossy, vivid, have more depth and an arty feel.

17-55 pictures are to me realistic, gritty, cold, slightly flat and have a less emotive feel.

(And yes, I only compared crop camera shots...)

Another great lens would be the 24-105L depending on your style.

So, nobody should blindly shell out $1000 for a lens -unless they really don't sweat the money- before they know what they need in a lens.

I wish Wally the besy of luck and a lot of fun, regards,

Matthijs.

My XSI is coming in today! I'm excited. it came with a Kit Lens 55mm with IS. I also got a Tamron 75-300MM F4-5.6 Di LD with macro

I had bought my wife the XTI with kit lens and she bout the Quantry 75-300mm. I basically bought the same stuff just a little more upgraded.

Two lenses should be all you need, I have been told to shoot with them for a year before buying something else.

Well, I picked up my XSi shortly after reading all your replies yesterday =) and have been playing around. I'm loving it so far while trying different things, going thru the manual and reading on the web.

I probably should start a new thread but I do have a question about blurred moving images. I was trying to take a picture of my dog running in the field yesterday but it came out blurry. I'm assuming it could be several things such as camera settings; me shaking while taking the picture; lighting etc... but was wondering if it could be related to the kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS) the XSi comes with and it's capabilites of taking pictures of moving objects?

Thanks,

Wallie

• 1 year later...

<p>Great site! </p>

<p>I have an xsi with kit lenses, working w/ this for over a year, getting great results and selling prints, I am happy.<br>

But I need to make a lens change and would appreciate some suggestions from this knowledgeable bunch.<br>

I am constently changing from the 18-55is to the 55-250is, thus I would like to get a lens from 28-200 or abouts. I have heard pro's and cons from the Tamron 28-270, sigma 28-250 and the Canon.<br>

I do not have a 1000 or more to spend, more like 600 and under.<br>

Comments would be a huge help!</p>

<p>Thanks...<br>

Bill</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi.</p>

<p>I have had the XSI along with the 18-55is and 55-250is lenses for the past year.</p>

<p>I think they are a decent pair for the price but it is time to upgrade. This is where I need some input.<br>

I do not have a lot of$ to play with so I was thinking of keeping the 55-250 is for the longer shots and getting something thar is a little faster and sharper in the 18-130mm range{to avoid changing lenses so much}. Otherwise the 18- to whatever range will have to do?</p>

<p>I was thinking of the Tamron 18-270, but having it all in one lens is difficult.<br>

My max. price range is 600.00.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>Billy<br>

P.S. You can take a look at what I have managed to do with these two lenses at my site: <a href="http://www.unusualphotos.shutterfly.com">www.unusualphotos.shutterfly.com</a></p>