Suggested Canon FD lenses with M4/3

kisangoli57

Sorry if this is a question that could be asked on a different sub. But I have a canon t70 and some lenses that I've inherited (I believe the 50mm and 75-200..my dad is giving them to me but I don't have them currently, I'll get them when I visit next) and also an Olympus OMD EM10.

I'd like to use both of them and just got a FD to M4/3 adaptor, but I don't know if I should add any other lenses seeing as the FD are pretty cheap?

Right now I'm up to shooting anything (more of a hobby than anything else) but I'd say mostly is nature, landscapes, animals, architecture, etc.

I'm open to shooting anything really, considering this is a newer hobby of mine. So if a certain lens is great at a different style then that information is definitely welcome.

Thanks!

I have an Olympus EM-5 which I have used FD lenses on. Be aware that the smaller sensor of a M4/3 camera effectively doubles the focal length of a FD lens, e.g., so your 50mm will effectively show the field of view of a 100 lens. So you may want to consider buying a FD wide-angle of some sort. Focal length is up to you.

Before adding any additional lenses, I would recommend using the FD lenses you currently have with the adaptor and EM10 and decide if using adapted lenses work for you. Note that the FD lenses must be focused manually and the aperture set by you to shooting aperture to take the image and to properly set the meter (likely will be using Aperture Priority setting on the EM10). Also note that the camera must know the approximate focal length of the attached lens in order for the image stabilizer system to work properly. For a zoom, you would need to tell it approximately what focal length the lens is set for.

I've been using FD as well as other vintage lenses on my Oly M4/3 for several years now. They are OK, some are even excellent,but remember they were designed for film, so may not produce optimal results on your OLY digital body (lots of explanations online, so I won't go into details here). IMHO you're much better off in acquiring additional lenses to purchase ones specifically designed for M4/3 bodies...there are lots to choose from ranging from high end Leica lenses produced under the Leica-Panasonic name down to more modestly priced Olympus and Panasonic...and they have built in autofocus with manual focus options.
  • Like 2

Sorry if this is a question that could be asked on a different sub. But I have a canon t70 and some lenses that I've inherited (I believe the 50mm and 75-200..my dad is giving them to me but I don't have them currently, I'll get them when I visit next) and also an Olympus OMD EM10.

I'd like to use both of them and just got a FD to M4/3 adaptor, but I don't know if I should add any other lenses seeing as the FD are pretty cheap?

Right now I'm up to shooting anything (more of a hobby than anything else) but I'd say mostly is nature, landscapes, animals, architecture, etc.

appvalley

I'm open to shooting anything really, considering this is a newer hobby of mine. So if a certain lens is great at a different style then that information is definitely welcome.

Thanks!

issue got solved