Sudden problem scanning slides - Epson 11000XL

Had no problems scanning slides with the transparency adapter prior to last week. Suddenly, the scanner would simply capture the edge of a color slide and the rest was gray and white horizontal streaks. If I tried scanning two slides side by side, it would capture the edge of the first slide, noise, and then the edge of the next, followed by more noise. Took the adapter off and attached it to a different scanner, connected to a different PC. Same thing. We needed a second adapter anyways, and with no luck troubleshooting, bought a new one. Same problem.

Pertinent points for both set ups:

- Windows 10 64-bit

- Software used: tried both Epson Scan and Silverfast

- No new software installed on either machine since last successful scan

- Latest epson drivers, and I did reinstall them to rule out corruption

- Tried multiple resolutions, but usually scan a single slide at ~4100

pins on both cables seem fine.

Here's what six slides in a holder look like when scanned (left edge fine, the rest, garbage).

247781413_fourslides.JPG.dd5a9d253c568a7e83726ffac980c731.JPG

Anybody have any idea what could cause this?

Update, but first an apology if this was the wrong forum to post to.

Now, the embarrassing update:

Turns out this was entirely user error. My colleague had place said slides in a black plastic holder provided by Epson.

I normally don't use the holder, but I understand why one would. Once the problem with the scan results occurred, all subsequent testing was done using the slides still in the holder.

On a whim, I took the slides out of the plastic frame and simply placed the on the scanner surface. Problem solved.

I don't know why the use of the holder creates such results as those shown above, but at least we can get back to work.

Thanks for the tip about orientation. After reading that, I went back to the manual, which to be honest, I probably read once about 10 years ago.

Also, in my defense, I used a Nikon unit for transparencies up until last year, and have since just been slapping slides directly on the surface of the scanner (not usually doing more than one or two). My colleague didn't want to use the Nikon, and I couldn't blame him.

Again, good feedback, and good learning experience.