Sudden dip in clients when I featured gay couple...

ella_swanson

<p>I may be presumptuous in thinking the problem isn't at all my fault, but I've noticed a drastic fall in the number of people booking me for weddings after I posted a gay engagement shoot on my blog and website. I didn't ever think about the fact that people might be turned off by seeing gay people in my portfolio, I was mostly thinking about horror stories from gay couple getting turned down by photographers and I wanted to make sure everyone knows I'm equal opportunity. You know?</p>

<p>I'm not removing the images. If a client is going to not hire me based on that chances are we probably won't jive well together and do I really want to enter into that kind of contract with them? I'm sure you'll agree that it's so much easier to have a client who you really click with.</p>

<p>Like I said I'm probably just being cocky. I also don't want to pull the bigot card so quickly. I have photos of people covered in blood on both and a whole series on a <a href="http://mrmannequin.tumblr.com/">mannequin</a> so it's <em>prooobably</em> my fault. But I wanted to get someone else's opinion on this.</p>

<p><a href="http://weddings.ameliabeamish.com/html_gallery.cfm?menu_itemID=711518&load=html&parentID=711517">WEBSITE</a> | <a href="http://ameliabeamish.blogspot.com/2010/12/peter-mark.html">BLOG</a></p><div>00YAk9-329559584.jpeg.6173ab13951bb9c2b6d10b954f3c6b4d.jpeg</div>

<p>There's not much point in stirring controversy when it doesn't serve any purpose. Thing is that one never knows the total effect with a thing like that......and, as I say, nobody benefits. If you are asked, then you tell the truth, at least I would, but whose asking here?</p>

<p>And as for the "click" thought, it doesn't matter that much at all in my experience. I am a professional delivering a complex service......cliicking can actually have a downside to it too....best regards, Robert</p>

<p>If you're proud of the quality of images from a gay wedding, are you going to hide them? Where does it stop? Will you hide the images from Jewish weddings you were paid to shoot? Or Catholic? Or Muslim? What about African Americans or Latinos, or weddings of two people who appear to be of different races? Any images on your site might drive away somebody.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p><div>00YAlw-329595584.jpg.86376b02f3e7ac02fe43d87e959d5d6f.jpg</div>

<p>If you are a professional photographer there to make a living from your craft, your primary goal is to earn money. I applaud your sincerity and passion for equality. Ultimately, the clients call the shots. Why not have two blogs? One for heterosexual couples and another that depicts the idea of union in general and perhaps publicise the latter through LGBT press?<br>

If you are lucky to be from an are that lives in enlightened times and have embraced cultural changes, it would be foolish not to feature gay couples. However, if your locality is a little more conservative it would be equally foolish to do so. You are a wedding photographer, not a documentary photographer instigating social change. It is all about being sensible.</p>

<p>Your website (at least not that I could find) doesn't state a location - but as Starvy pointed out - if you are not in an accepting area - it could have a negative impact on bookings. </p>

<p>Unfortunately not everyone is open and accepting of everyone else - no matter how many laws the government passes. </p>

<p>Ultimately - it's the customers that call the shots in this business - if an image on your website or blog turns clients away - then you have make the call - Are you getting an increase in same sex couples equal to or surpassing the loss in heterosexual couples? If the answer is yes - then leave the images. If the answer is no - and that is the only variable that has changed (which I kind of doubt) - then remove the images and do as Starvy suggested - create a mirror site and promote it in the GLBT community. </p>

<p>As a general rule my area is one of the most accepting and open in the country - right up there with San Francisco - but there is still a certain segment of my clients who would object to me featuring a same sex couple on my main page.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>The problem with your website is not the gay couple but that you make it hard for people to do business with you. Like David said, you need to state the area that you serve. I also strongly recommend putting your phone number (NOT AN CONTACT US FORM PAGE) on the footer of your site so that it is easy for people to find you. Every page of your site should have a goal and a CTA (call to action). For a site like yours, the CTA should be to get people to contact you so make it easy for them to do so. I hate filling out contact forms because you have no idea how long it will take someone to get back to you. You can leave the contact us page put put your name and the your phone on the top of the form.</p>

<p>I also don't like the calendar because if you are slow, it will be obvious to everyone and they will be wondering if something is wrong with you. Also the dates can be misleading because you might be able to handle two events on the same day (maybe a family brunch in the morning and a dinner in the evening). </p>

<p>Firstly, I applaud your effort to have integrity on the subject, but you will have to lay in the bed you choose in the end (pun intended). This is business and what sells is what someone wants to buy. You can be Saks 5th, or W* mart. You have to choose to whom you will "sell" your wares and market yourself appropriately IMO.</p>

<p>One cannot expect the masses to readily accept changes in society, especially when those changes are perceived as "different".<br /> However, I think there will likely be a time when that walk of life is "normal" and "different" will be some other orientation the is perceived as a threat to the society.</p>

<p>Whatever you post as an example of your work will have an impact on what market you attract (or don't). Having said that, I am glad you find yourself in a position to hang on to your ideas about the type of work you want to do, both personally and professionally. That is a luxury not every photographer can afford. I firmly believe that there are enough clients out there for everyone, and it may take you a little longer, but displaying the work YOU like (and like to do) will insure that you attract clients with whom you'll "click", setting up a situation where you'll be your most creative and your clients will be the most satisfied.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>People 'vote' w/ their dollars. I live in an area where the culture is not widely accepting of GLBT life. I enjoy shooting G&L events and clients, but I understand that HERE, I would be discriminated against for making my personal views part of my business. So I don't emphasize them publicly (such as in my gallery). Practicality is part of business, and while I wish it weren't always so, the bottom line is that you do business at the discretion of those who do business with you, so while I applaud your attitude, you have to accept the possible results. Call them bigots, call them jerks, whatever, but you'll have to accept it. </p>

<p>After all, after prop 8, didn't a lot of businesses who supported it (financially) get protested against, and boycotted by people on the other side, I felt that was appropriate, and turnabout is fairplay.</p>

<p>Despite trying to be fair open and honest.<br>

and being willing and not discriminate against anyone.<br>

You may have done yourself a dis-service.<br>

The support for gay marriage and gay life style is very loud.<br>

but in reality it is a very small minority.<br>

Twice california voted down Gay unions, and twice one judge over ruled<br>

the will of the voters. The vote indicated the feelings of Californai voters. and california is a very open. tolerant and liberal state. You may be suffering a backlash from this attitude.<br>

as was said clients make a choice and pay the bills.<br>

if you disagree with a majority of clients or JUST appear to, it can cause a rejection<br>

by some clients. It is your choice, get more clients or to be more politically correct.<br>

I think it is possible you may not even be considered for many church weddings.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Many people are very open-minded... until they actually see that which they don't really agree with.</p>

<p>I'm open-minded, but having a tough time looking at the image you posted in this thread. No, I'm not homophobic... I just don't like looking at it.</p>

<p>Maybe I'm just a disgruntled Californian who is sick and tired of liberal judges disrespecting the will of the people. :)</p>

<p>Here's a thought...try doing a test and taking down the picture for one month and see if there's any improvement.</p>

<p>Also are you using Google analytics (or another competitive product)? It would be interesting to see the drop-off rate for when the picture is displayed. This will tell you for sure if the picture is causing issues, or if it is something else.</p>

<p>On a side note, I'm a conservative but have absolutely no issue at all with the picture. I guess it is all about people's perceptions.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Walter, support for gay marriage is by no means a "very small minority." From the NYTs: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/bush-and-mccain-daughters-reflect-age-divide-on-gay-marriage/?partner=rss&emc=rss </p>

<p>If your recent blog and website entries are off-message of what you've been marketing yourself as, then yes, the photos could have a serious impact on bookings. But, without knowing anything about the clientele you serve or want to serve, it's a bit thoughtless for anyone to make a judgement about whether the photos are responsible for your decline in bookings. Really, your decline in dates could be anything- the economy, your marketing skills, a rash of new talent in your area, even this miserable winter. </p>

<p>A bit off topic, but from Forbes, on the potential windfall of legalized gay marriage: http://www.forbes.com/2004/04/05/cx_al_0405gaymarriage_print.html</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am not sure what the question is. You are reasonably sure that the drop in your business was caused by posting pictures of gay couples in your portfolio. You are proud of your work and you are willing to live with the financial consequences. Is there a question here?</p>

<p><strong>Moderator Note:</strong></p>

<p><strong>Brian M.</strong>--the question is--what is your opinion about Ella's situation or conclusions.<br>

<em>"But I wanted to get someone else's opinion on this."</em></p>

<p><strong>Senor and everyone</strong>--let's not make this discussion about the politics of gay marriage or being gay, but about photographing gay marriages or relationships and how it affects one's wedding photography business.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If a client is going to not hire me based on that chances are we probably won't jive well together</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why is this relevant? Are you in the habit of discussing gay rights (or politics, or religion...) during a photoshoot? It sounds like what negotiators call 'rationalisation' - you are avoiding addressing the true <em>business</em> issue (recovering your business activity) by justifying the situation with an irrelevant argument (your clients beliefs). <br>

But it is an almighty assumption that the pictures are the cause of the business drop off; but if it is true, it means that the sort of people you refer to made up a significant part of your clientele in the past and you didn't know and cared even less. Go figure. </p>

<p>I've seen many young shooters look at a two week or four week period and then jump to the conclusion that it constituted some form of a trend. My first question would be about your data. I am assuming that you are keeping track of the total number of inquiries and then looking at your appointment rates relative to inquiries, and finally the amount of bookings versus the number of initial appointments and total number of inquiries, etc.....if so, what do the numbers tell you.</p>

<p>OTOH, you've already stated that your personal beliefs trumps your business priorities and that if the images have damaged your bookings then you don't care. So then what is your point? The images that you choose to showcase your studio will define your studio. If you really cared about personal integrity and being upfront/honest then why the fake name on P-net?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I've noticed <strong>a drastic fall in the number of people booking me for weddings</strong> after I posted a gay engagement shoot on my blog and website. But I wanted to get someone else's opinion on this."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The <strong><em>Content</em></strong> of Photographs one places on the website (maybe) will have an effect on the Number of Enquires one receives. After all the mechanic of a website is that the Advertizer (the Photographer) has NO active leverage whatsoever in that engagement.<br>

<br />The Attitude, Pre-conceptions and Stories the Photographer brings to the table, at the Sales Meeting will have much more effect on the outcome of that meeting.<br>

Considering the question is about BOOKINGS – I suggest one articulates a definitive number of drop-offs, in INQUIRES.<br>

Depending upon that result, maybe then look for answers in the later area, first in the techniques and then also maybe in the areas of Attitudes, Pre-conceptions, Stories and Baggage: rather than the former passion to attribute the blame (and the reasons) to be associated with a few images.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>David, I think Ella answered your question already.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's just a random name so clients won't see my really old dumb questions when searching for me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>IMHO the above is a good reason for using a pseudonym on an easily searchable forum.</p>

<p>The photo posted seems pretty innocuous to me. I can't believe there are people who "just don't like looking at it." What does that even mean? It isn't men having sex with one another -- its just two guys showing affection. That's so hard to look at? Really? <br>

What will make you the most money isn't always what you are ethically and/or morally comfortable with. Sometimes we sacrifice dollars to take a stand for what we believe is right. That said, I don't know if I could take a stand on something that is relatively small (one photo on a website) but could cost me the ability to pay my rent. <br>

In the abstract, this is an interesting question--you could always write to the ethicist in the New York Times Magazine. I'll bet they'd print the letter! But in actuality, I'm not convinced the photo is to blame here. I like the idea of the experiment posed above--remove it for one month and see. If there's no impact, then it wasn't the photo. It is hard to imagine if you live in a place with 1/2-way normal people that just because out of hundreds of events you photographed one for two guys that people wouldn't hire you anymore. If true, its horrifying that this is America and that's what goes on. Might as well be in Uganda or Iran.</p>

<p>At the same time, you shouldn't lose the ability to pay your rent because of one photo. </p>

<p>Ah......Kyle.....you know little of Uganda, or Iran. There is also a guys kissing image in the website that you missed.....</p>

<p>It's not going to help to remove-and-wait.....whatever, if any, damage was done and it will take longer than that for the effect to dwindle to nothing.</p>

<p>I don't see that any "cause" is being espoused here at all.........just a question as to whether a cause and effect might exist between a drop in bookings, and a possibly controversial image post.</p>

<p>But <em><strong>Uganda? Iran?</strong></em> You really need to get out more.....Robert</p>

<p>I agree that there is no way to tell what is affecting your business, which someone said above.</p>

<p>I also think it's important to stand up for what you believe, even if it does hurt your business. I shoot wedding-like events, including children's events, and I don't hide that I shoot strippers, fetish enthusiasts, transexuals, and pretty much anyone. I would rather be more hungry and lose the business of bigots.</p>

<p>You have to decide. If you think it's going to destroy your business and that is your only livelihood, then it could be a real problem. However, if there's one gay couple whose wedding you can shoot, there are plenty more out there.</p>