Successor to Bayer sensor XA1?

<p>Been looking into the Fuji cameras pretty extensively to the point of pixel-peeping the daylights out of them.<br />I have found it interesting to note that the RAW files from the XA1 Bayer sensor are very comparable to the X trans files. In fact, at higher ISO's, the XA1 files are slightly noisier, but have more actual detail. I'll take that trade since I do almost exclusively b&w.<br>

Do any of you think or know if there is a future for the XA1 Bayer sensor or the XA1 camera?<br>

I think I would actually like to see a full-blown Fuji version of the XE2, or similar, with the Bayer sensor.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Regarding X-Trans vs. Bayer, dunno, don't care, it's not a significant enough issue to fuss over.</p>

<p>Before buying the X-A1 when it was on sale earlier this year I pixel-peeped the hell out of every high resolution JPEG and RAF I could find online. I didn't see a nickel's worth of differences between the X-Trans X-M1 and X-A1. High ISO characteristics are somewhat different with each, with neither being clearly superior or inferior - they're just slightly, and only slightly, different. I got the X-A1 because it was such an incredible value. If I could afford one of the Fuji X-models with eye level finder I'd snag one without any regard for whether it's an X-Trans or Bayer sensor. There simply isn't enough difference to make it a major issue in deciding to get a Fuji X-series camera.</p>

<p>It ain't the sensor that really matters in the X-series. It's Fuji's overall vision of form, function and photo. Despite the few quirks in the X-A1 design (that terrible delete key placement... grrrrr...) it's a very satisfactory camera that doesn't get in my way.</p>

<p>And the plasticky kit zoom is really good, with the only flaw being near-fisheye level barrel distortion at 16mm, requiring some extreme corrections in post (done automagically with in-camera JPEGs and by most raw converters I've tried) and some loss of sharpness at the corners and edges. But it's darned good at the center, and excellent overall from 18-50mm.</p>

<p>In particular their in-camera JPEGs are consistently among the most pleasing I've seen from any camera. Doesn't matter whether it's an X-Trans or Bayer model. I love being able to snap pix of family and friends and print or send 'em right away without having to tweak everything in Lightroom. It's the closest thing I've found to the experience of shooting great color films like Fuji Reala or Kodak 400UC and getting back really nice prints from a competent minilab.</p>

<p>And I really like being able to tweak photos in-camera via the internal raw converter. It usually resolves any problems I had with the first take. I probably tweak fewer than 5% of my X-A1 photos from raw in Silkypix or Photo Ninja.</p>

I don't think it really matters whether the next entry level X is Bayer, X-Trans or something else. There's enough

cooperation between Fuji and software companies now that the files from the different models are interchangeable in the

raw converters.

I'm seeing X-A1 kits for $449, X-M1 kits for $529 and X-E1 kits with the addon grips included for $699. At those prices I

could recommend any of those cameras.

<p> i read a fuji executive interview on DPreview awhile back which made it seem like fuji was test-marketing the bayer sensor and seeing if it sold more than the x-trans at the lower price point. i dont think anyone outside of that company has an answer for you; you'll just have to wait and see.</p>

>>> I'm definitely going to spring for the Xa1 now and see what's out there by the time I wear it out.

That's a good plan, though you may not wear it out. What's nice is that any lenses you might buy for it will

work with any Fuji body upgrade you might consider in the future.

www.citysnaps.net