Successful Rokkor Lens Repair

<p>A short while back <em>I<a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00WS78"> posted here</a></em> about a used Minolta 58mm lens with stuck aperture blades. Thanks to the tips I received in this forum. and the purchase of an inexpensive lens spanner, I was able to disassemble the lens, carefully clean the aperture blades, and put the darn thing back together. It even works now! Not a big deal to some of you veteran camera guys, but I made a test roll and wanted to share the results of my success.</p><div>00Wcti-250163584.jpg.a077ec5fc3bef308a1f0a6c2911dc580.jpg</div>

<p>Later at home my daughter showed me a telescope she likes carrying around to look at things up close. Seems she wants a real telescope for the next birthday, and is fascinated by optics! I wonder where she gets that from? ;)</p><div>00Wctt-250167584.jpg.e3c24d4310443f2d5a39dcc78adbccdf.jpg</div>

<p>Congratulations on fixing the Rokkor!<br>

It appears to be in fine working condition now. Great shots.</p>

<p>I remember when I was a kid I loved playing with binoculars, magnifying glasses, periscopes and telescopes. I'm sure it has something to do with my interest in cameras now too.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Gentleman. SP, I will take your advice on my forte! Tom, I got the Spanner on The big auction site. The seller's name is "heavystar" and it only cost around $15 U.S. He has several sizes, but the 3/32 is most useful. It took me about 4 hours to take it apart carefully and clean with Radio Shack CRC Electronics Cleaner. I have a whole bunch of Exakta lenses with sluggish apertures I'm going to work on now. If anybody needs help or tips, please email me directly. Glad to help out!</p>

<p>Many Rokkors are pretty straightforward to repair, especially the normals. It's a great way to get into simple lens repair. Others are a tougher, but until you get to the wides or zooms, they're not monsters. The 58/1.4 is also the first Rokkor I repaired. Excellent pics, too.</p>