Substitue Lens Shade?

pico_digoliardi

I think you've picked a tough one here. I don't know of a substitute hood that will work on this lens. And the clip-on series 7 hood is the only way I know of to mount filters as well. To top it off, I don't see these hoods floating around too often, and when you find them, they are pricey. I saw two minty ones in a shop in Singapore, and the owner wouldn't sell them as they were matched with lenses.

I think they can still be ordered new from Leica as a spare part, but again, they are likely to be pricey.

Make one yourself from the neck and shoulder of a plastic bottle. There is a site on the net where the owner of some FSU cameras shows how. Just by happenstance the bottles that once contained "Oceanspray" cranberry juice have a cross section near the proportions of the 2:3 format. It is just a matter of getting the right depth and painting them flat black. A properly proportioned rectangular hood is far superior to any of circular cross section.

"Would a 12501 fit, as it takes Ser. VII filters. I know it's for a 21/3.4 SA and may not be effective in shading the 35, but it would be better than nothing, no?"

No.

The 21/3.4 (and the 1st-version 28/2.8 for which the hood is also designed) takes a 48mm filter, much wider than the 35/1.4. And to boot, it's also much more expensive when found than the 12504. A garden-variety 12585 will fit, not sure about vignetting, but does not accept the series filters.

IIRC this lens takes 41mm filters. You should be able to find a screw-in shade that would work sufficiently.

Something like this one (item number 160029770617):

http://cgi.ebay.com/41mm-LENS-HOOD-E41-LENS-SHADE-screw-in-FIT-BLACK_W0QQitemZ160029770617QQihZ006QQcategoryZ78999QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

You could probably get an original shade at www.Leicabeimeister.com, that has them all on stock. Mr. Martin Meister will be able to advice you whether you should use part no 12504, which seems to be the correct shade for newer M 35/1.4 lenses with series VII filters, or whether your lens is for E41 filters and perhaps needs another shade. Original shades may seem expensive (the 12504 costs � 149), but in my view they are worth the investment.

If you really have the first version 35mm Summilux, it takes a rectangular metal shade that bayonets to the lens mount (this is the one I thought you were describing). I'm pretty sure it took 41mm (or E41) filters.

The second version takes the round 12504 shade which screws apart and takes series VII filters. It seems to me that version had no filter threads at all.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

:) Methinks a number of responders never saw the Summilux 35mm F1.4 that I'm speaking of. It is very compact (short), and really doesn't want filters screwed into the front. The lens shade is round with cut-outs. I have it mounted on a CL. It is almost a pocket-camera now.

BUT Thanks to those with the great information! I am armed with good stuff to work from.

I owe you!