Stupid overused cliches in photography

ruslan

Scrolling through the photosites, works I see how the boards/admins promote and hype photos like this

Or this

I am fed up with that tasteless and uninspired, even boring 2014 cliches.

Where is the real thing? Real art? Why do people copycat that feet/boots subject on and on?

Some of them add VW Campervans and a fire! All the same! Enough of cloning!

Edited by William Michael

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people copycat that feet/boots subject on and on?

Why not? They do the same about family members, vehicles, wedding cakes...

If you want art: Create!

Seriously: It is a way to tell:

1. I made it here

2. the weather / light aren't that great, right now
  3. we cheaped out on my makeup artist & hair stylist

Only imaginable alternative would be licensing a stock photo (taken in better light) of the very same spot and which travel blog could afford such?

Cloning? Whats wrong about it? Some day we 'll have shot the entire selfie-sutra.

"Thankyou" had been said before too. But why shouldn't we say it again?

What about Spiral staircase ?

:)

Umbrellas, balloons, the color red ... we could go on ...

Something Ruslan's complaint fails to take into account is that a good photo may just start with the "named" subject. It's what the photo shows about that subject, how the photo shows it, and sometimes the fact that the photo transcends the subject that can be the keys. Reducing photos to the objects in them is ... well ... how did Ruslan put it? ... "tasteless and uninspired, even boring."

"You talkin' to me?"

In any case, the point is that Ruslan’s description only specifies objects. If the photos he’s thinking of are cliche, he’d have to supply more of a critique than naming the objects he named. I’m not sure the point was critique, though, as much complaint. And the photographic responses that have been posted are effective as such.

"You talkin' to me?"

There can be many levels of cliches, creating an infinite regress of them. Supposedly the human intellect can't tolerate infinite regresses. That's when, perhaps, we will reach the conclusion that talking about cliches in photography serves no, or very little, purpose. Every photo must stand on its own merit. For example, if the subject matter is cliched, that's not necessarily the end of the story.