"studio lighting" outdoors

I typically shoot inside under very controlled conditions and I'd like to maintain

some consistency in my lighting in a project that will be shot outdoors in the

evening. In the studio, I use a beauty dish with honeycomb grid on a boom

stand as my primary light source, but being a monolight, it is probably too big

and heavy to move about out of the studio (not to mention the need for an

electrical outlet.)

My first thought is to rent a battery powered unit that accepts a grid reflector

and is lightweight enough that an assistant could comfortably support it using

a boom arm. (I'd like to avoid using a light stand as it is important to be mobile

and operate quickly during the shoot.) I also would need a unit with a

modeling light. I'd like to mimic the control and quailty of light of the beauty

dish with grid. This is the first time I've attempted this kind of shoot -- does

anyone have any recommendations on equipment or approach? Thanks in

advance.

You need a light stand. Your assistant will hate you if you don't use one :)

I have a nice redwing stand that when picked up, the legs automatically fold. Wouldn't

slow you down at all.

A battery powered pack/head system is going to be too heavy to run around with if that's

what you are after.

If you use Lumedyne your assistant could esaily hold the head on a monopod, if you get him something like the device people use to hold a flag for long periods. It's like a belt with a cup on it that the end of the flagpole goes into. A Lumedyne head weighs practically nothing compared to many strobe heads. It has a dim modeling light that is practically invisible in bright ambient light. If "evening" is dark when/where you are working, the 25 watt modeling light may be sufficient for focusing and some previewing. But more important is having an assistant who knows how to place the light on your subject. Hire a photographer... t<div>00GCJ5-29641684.jpg.5c67d9ade498eb91398626acce4a1dcd.jpg</div>